Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010

billsull is on a distinguished road
Who's got more than one sailboat in their fleet?

I know there a few multi-boat owners on these boards and I would like to benefit from their (or anyone else's) experience. I have had two boats for awhile (Bristol 24 and a Allied Seawind 30), but this year will be the first year that both will be in the water at the same time. Initially, I had planned to let one or both of my kids, who are about to graduate from college (yee-hah!), take the Bristol on an aquatic version of a walkabout.

The kids have since indicated that they aren't interested in taking me up on the offer of the Bristol. I don't know where I went wrong, but I'm beginning to suspect that my real children were kidnapped!

Anyway, if I could find a way to keep both boats, I'd like to. The Bristol has sentimental value and I hope to use the Seawind for extended cruising "when and if". I used to have the Seawind on the Chesapeake, and while we enjoyed cruising the Bay, the seven hour commute to and from the boat by car got to be a drag. If I was going to have a boat in a remote location now, I'd want it to be accessible by a relatively cheap flight.

So, my questions are...
- Assuming a two boat owner, do you keep both boats near to where you live or is one in another cruising area entirely?

- If one is in a distant location, do you rely on a marina or boatyard to handle much of the work that you would normally do yourself?

- Do you feel like you are able to take advantage of having two boats or do you end up sailing one of them less than you would like?

- My wife is already on my case to sell one, but I've been trying to pitch the "floating condo" idea. She's not buying it because she knows that staying aboard either of these boats is more akin to camping than anything else. Can anyone suggest a relatively low cost way to keep a boat in a warmer clime that might appeal to her and allow me to keep both boats?

Perhaps the best answer will be to pass the Bristol on to a new owner and stick with one boat, but I want to be sure that I've explored all other options first. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2010

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
5 boats (only one sail)
Old 02-15-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
I grew up with access to many different boats including a motorboat, 3 small sailboats and a few sea kayaks while working on a 92' schooner. What I found was that I essentially only used one of the boats outside of work. If there was no wind, I would go sea kayaking, otherwise I always sailed the same small boat. I used the other boats 2 or 3 times a year but it really wasn't worth the effort that went into them. When my parent's motorboat broke a wrist pin last year, I looked and realized it was getting less than 5 uses a year so we put it up for sale.

If you are doing the maintenance yourself, I can't imagine having two boats, the sailing time would not be worth the maintenance time. I could maybe see it if they were in significantly different places. I could also see it if one boat was a cruising boat and the other one was a daysailor for when you only have 2 hours to go out.

I am sure that you will have your own opinion on the subject once you try it.
Old 02-15-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Two- if you include the dinghy that has a sailing rig.

One big boat is enough, thanks.
Old 02-15-2010

CoralReefer is on a distinguished road
Three... 2 Hobie's for racing and a Catalina for cruising
Old 02-15-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
For the past several years I've had both a Lightning 19' and a Tartan 27'. I kept the Lightning on the LI Sound on a trailer at a relatives house for the most part. The Tartan is kept on a mooring 25 nm up the Hudson. It was nice to have a small, fast boat on the salt water of the Sound. The problem always is if you are using one of them then you are not using the other.
In your case I would switch the locations you keep your boats in. Try to find someone on the Chessy willing to go partners with you on the Bristol 24' and you would only get to use it for 1 or 2 weeks a season considering the time and distances involved. I know it is a long shot but would be my fantasy.
Having the Allied Seawind on the Sound closer to home sounds like the way to go.

Everybody has one:

Old 02-15-2010

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
There was a period in my life where I owned two boats. One was a 28' center console power boat, and the other a 36' Lancer. I kept them on opposite sides of Oahu, and rarely made it out to the power boat. Not the smartest move I've ever made in retrospect. I imagine dual boat ownership is a lot like polygamy. Sounds great in theory, but in practice it is twice the headache, and twice the financial burden.

Hopefully you have a better experience than I did!
Old 02-15-2010

xsboats is on a distinguished road
A 50 ft Samson ketch, a Rainbow 24 , a Sunfish, a 14ft Whitehall, and soon to be a 20 ft trimaran on the sailing side of the fleet.
Old 02-15-2010

catamount is on a distinguished road
Peterson 34 offshore sloop for the ocean, San Juan 21 trailer sailer for lakes, and a Laser dinghy for blasting around just for fun.

I'm not counting rowing or paddling boats, just sail boats (no power boats, except for the auxillaries in the 34 and on the 21).

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence623 View Post
I imagine dual boat ownership is a lot like polygamy!
Maybe. In my case I think it might be more like living with only one wife, but a family of girls...

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 02-15-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
do the dinghies count? A hobie and a laser?