Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010

Dolby is on a distinguished road
Boat Insurance

Any recommendations of companies out there that provide good coverage and rates on the east coast...something that will also cover the boat in the Bahamas...and not progressive or geico...they're lame...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might want to contact a good marine insurance agent to get a better idea of what policies are available to you. I'd recommend Christine Hartge, out of Hartge Insurance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-18-2010

Dolby is on a distinguished road
thanks man, ill check her out
Old 02-18-2010

svGeneve is on a distinguished road
I'm using BoatUS Insurance and believe it or not they were cheaper than the other companies I had quotes from.

Be careful going with the cheap guys as they are a nightmare to deal with if you ever have to file a claim. I read too many horror stories from others about fighting to get any work done, I have never heard anything bad about BoatUS. Sometimes you just get what you pay for.

I had the underwriter extend my cruising area beyond their normal area for the gulf coast, they did this free of charge but I did have to ask for it. Just something to keep in mind when your talking to different companies.

DB
Old 02-18-2010

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
i use IMIS and they were cheaper than everyone we checked with. they will change your coverage as needed for where you go all the way thru the Carib. our insurance right covers us from Canadian Maritimes down to the Ches. when we go south we have to call and they change it once we are around the Ches. then when we get to Fla. they change it for Carib.
Old 02-18-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
RLI through Mariners General was the cheapest for me. Followed by BoatUS
Old 02-19-2010

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
I second Mike's recommendation, IMIS.

I keep my boat in the Bahamas year-round and they've covered me for the past 5 years. Boat US dropped my coverage after Hurricanes Jeanne and Frances. Glad they did! IMIS coverage was cheaper and more comprehensive.

Last edited by AlanBrown; 02-19-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-19-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
What do boat insurance companies actually pay for? Maintenance? Rig failures? catastrophic failures? Blistering? It seems that the boat owner picks up the bill for everything except liability and complete loss. Do they cover EPA fees and salvage fees?
Old 02-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many will pay for rig failures, haul outs to avoid damage from named storms—like hurricanes, environmental remediation costs if you spill/leak fuel, salvage fees if your boat sinks, etc.

It really depends on your policy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
What do boat insurance companies actually pay for? Maintenance? Rig failures? catastrophic failures? Blistering? It seems that the boat owner picks up the bill for everything except liability and complete loss. Do they cover EPA fees and salvage fees?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-25-2010
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
We second sailing dog about Christine Hartge Wilson for your boat insurance needs. We recently had a small claim (liability) and the guy we bumped said claim was handled well. Contact them at Hartge Insurance Associates - We Specialize In Your Unique Insurance Needs

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry