Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010

redstripesailor is on a distinguished road
Tall Ship Concordia sinks

I just heard a report that the 188' Canadian tall ship Concordia sank off of Brazil today. Apparently there was no loss of life and the crew and students were in three lifeboats that were picked up by two merchant vessels. There's not really much info on the sinking yet. If y'all hear stuff, post it!

Having worked in the Tall Ship industry for a number of years I know this boat well; she's pretty new, well built and run by a good crew. This is going to be a big blow to the industry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2010

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
Canadian school ship sinks off Brazil; all rescued - Yahoo! News

RIO DE JANEIRO – A Canadian sailing ship filled with high school and college students sank off the coast of Brazil in strong winds, but officials said all 64 people aboard were rescued Friday after about 16 hours in rafts tossed by rough seas.

A distress signal was picked up from the three-masted SV Concordia about 5 p.m. Thursday, the Brazilian Navy said in a statement, and a Brazilian Air Force plane later spotted life rafts in about 300 miles (500 kilometers) off the coast of Rio de Janeiro.

Forty-eight students — in grades 11, 12 and university freshmen — were aboard the vessel, said Kate Knight, head of West Island College International of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, which operates the Class Afloat program.

Edgardo Ybranez, captain of the Philippine flagged Hokuetsu Delight cargo ship, told The Associated Press via satellite phone that his ship rescued 44 of the victims in rough, dangerous seas. The remaining people were picked up by another ship.

Ybranez said the Concordia's doctor had suffered an injury before the rescue, "but he is OK now." He gave no more details.

All the rest were unhurt, Ybranez said: "You can tell their parents that everything is OK; everybody aboard my ship is fine."

The captain declined to put one of the survivors on the telephone. "They are all downstairs sleeping because they are exhausted, so I don't want to call any of them up," he said before cutting off the call to communicate with his employers.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement thanking the Brazilian Navy and the merchant crews "for their swift and heroic response."

"The skill and compassion demonstrated by Brazilian rescuers is a tribute to their training, spirit and seamanship," he said.

School officials said 42 of those aboard were from Canada. Knight said others hail from the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Europe and the West Indies.

"At this point we can't confirm at all what circumstances led them to abandon ship, or the status of the vessel," she said.

The Brazilian Navy, however, said the ship sank. Juan Cruz Margarita, captain of the SE Stao Knutsen that assisted in the rescue operation, told the AP via satellite phone he saw no sign of the Canadian ship by the time his vessel arrived.

Navy spokeswoman Maria Padilha said the students spent up to 16 hours on life rafts before they were rescued between 4 a.m. and 9 a.m.

She later said that some of those rescued were transferred to a Brazilian Navy ship late Friday and that the first of two ships carrying the passengers back to Rio was expected to dock around 9 a.m.

Shelley Piller, whose 17-year-old stepdaughter Elysha was on board, told the AP in a telephone interview from Kenilworth, Ontario, that she was worried despite hearing news that everyone was safe.

"That's my kid. For me I need to actually physically see her, feel her and have her in front of me to understand that she's safe," Piller said. "We're petrified, absolutely petrified."

The ship had visited Europe and Africa since leaving Canada in September, and it had just begun a five-month semester program on leaving Recife in Brazil's northeast Feb. 8. It was scheduled to dock Tuesday in Montevideo, Uruguay, then head to several islands in the Atlantic and to southern Africa and the Caribbean before returning to Canada.

The school's Web site says the 188-foot-long (57.5-meter-long) Concordia was built in 1992 and "meets all of the international requirements for safety." It carries up to 66 passengers and crew and also can operate under motor power.

The college's Web site says it gives high school and college students the chance to study while sailing the world. Tuition is listed as 42,500 Canadian dollars ($40,600) a year.
Old 02-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Do you have any details on what happened to the boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-19-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Was it well built? I mean a ship shouldn't sink just because it was knocked down a couple times.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 02-19-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Wow, Albatross revisited

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 02-19-2010

redstripesailor is on a distinguished road
Not quite Albatross, nobody died here.

Yes, the boat was well built. She was only built in 1992 and she met all the international standards required to take students to sea.
Old 02-19-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
A couple of years ago, the Admiral and I talked about trying to get jobs teaching on this ship.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 02-20-2010

petertribo is on a distinguished road
This ship was based in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada where the onshore classes were held. It should be noted that Lunenburg is also home to the Picton Castle on which a a tragic death occurred in 2006.

Laura Gainey swept into the Atlantic : Overboard : the fifth estate : CBC News

That ship also had foreign registry like the Concordia which was registered in Barbados.
Here are two recent articles from the Halifax Chronicle Herald on the Concordia sinking:

Sailing students rescued - Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca
Canadian agency won’t play big role in probe - Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca

Note this in the last story:

"Class Afloat did not respond to repeated requests for an interview Friday, but the school’s website says the Concordia was inspected by the American and Canadian coast guards and Lloyd’s Register of Shipping. It is believed the vessel was last inspected in August. It left Lunenburg on Sept. 7.

The website says the Concordia conforms to the standards of the Barbados registry and "meets the highest standards for sailing school vessels."" (My bold.)
Old 02-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
A fairly good article here. Ignore the typo in the headline (rescused)

First rescued Canadians dock in Rio - The Globe and Mail
Old 02-20-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
A fairly good article here. Ignore the typo in the headline (rescused)

First rescued Canadians dock in Rio - The Globe and Mail
Do you have seen the comment on that article?

"WHO CARES? A bunch of poor little rich kids got wet. Boo Hoo. Why aren't they in SCHOOL where they belong?"

At least those kids were not being raised as rich spoiled kids. On the article one of the kids says:

"one student recounted earlier this month in a post to the web. “It is tiresome, stressful, difficult and unconventional, but it is fulfilling beyond belief.”

I am thinking in putting my son aboard a tall ship during summer vacations, the "Sagres", that is cruising around the world. At summer time they are going to cruise US waters.

I Wonder what could have gon so wrong with that ship? I want to know.