Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010

peter400 is on a distinguished road
Moving 30’ Laguna south

I am moving to SC and need to transport 30 foot Laguna sailboat from Toms River NJ to Myrtle Beach SC in late May. Deciding whether to sail or have it transported on trailer? Which is best way? fficeffice" />>>
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
How much time do you have to actually take to sail it? Also, how much sailing experience do you have?

Some people look forward to this type of trip while others see it as a chore and should consider shipping.
Old 02-20-2010

agrainofsand is on a distinguished road
Shipping by truck is not very kind to boat hulls. And worse if the trucker has more forward gears then IQ. Sail it or have it sailed.
Old 02-20-2010
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Sailing it would be best. If you're not comfortable sailing offshore, keep it in the ICW. It's a great trip if you have the time. You could probably make the trip in a couple of weeks if weather is on your side. Don't plan on sailing much if you stay inside. It will be a lot of motoring.
If you plan on trucking it down, you're probably looking at about $2.00 a mile, minimum. I used a company that I found on uship.com. They were great. Be really careful on u-ship, there are many guys with a truck that will deliver a boat. Don't book a company without checking their feedback, and credentials first. If they have any issues with feedback, stay clear. most of the issues are with timing. If you have plenty of time. try to get a return trip or a trip that needs a return trip. It might save you a few dollars. I had my boat shipped from Wisconsin to Florida,by a company in Indiana. He had a delivery from Florida to Indiana for a return trip and it saved me about $1000. I had a lot of bugs plastered to the hull, but no real damage to the boat. I had a couple of scratches to the woodwork inside the cabin from not packing stuff better. but that's my fault.

Dave
Old 03-01-2010

joeleitz is on a distinguished road
I think sailing is the way to go too because you don't want your boat damaged and I think having it transported by road is more risky, personally. If you don't have time to sail it yourself you may be able to find someone to do it for you for a fee. That might be the best solution for you.