Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010

hns1934 is on a distinguished road
TV reception on the hook

I'm thinking that when the antenna moves TV reception goes to crap. I would think at the dock the reception would be just as bad if there was any movement in the boat antenna. Do we have any evidence of this....what has been our experiece on the water?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2010
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
A good omnidirectional antenna does the trick
Old 02-20-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We have a Shakespeare 2060 G omnidirectional. On the Chesapeake here near Baltimore/ Annapolis we get over 20 HD channnels with no problem..on the hook or at the dock. We really do not watch it that much on anchor, but it works great. It also worked great on our summer trips to the LI Sound where we could watch the news and weather/

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-20-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We have a Shakespeare 2060 G omnidirectional. On the Chesapeake here near Baltimore/ Annapolis we get over 20 HD channnels with no problem..on the hook or at the dock. We really do not watch it that much on anchor, but it works great. It also worked great on our summer trips to the LI Sound where we could watch the news and weather/

dave
Dave, was it hard to mount that antenna ?

I have wanted to get a television antenna but haven't made time to choose on yet.

Please support my
Old 02-20-2010

I33 is on a distinguished road
BoaTenna

Check out Home Page
It is simple. It is reliable. It works.
It is inexpensive compared to the powered ones.
I love mine.
Old 02-20-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Wind magic,

You have a number of choices on mounting. Most mount it on the mast like they do with their radars. I chose not to do this as I didn't want to have to run and junction another wire for when we take the mast down and I don't want something else for the jib to catch on when coming through the slot when tacking. (same reason I bought a Garhauer radar pole/ engine hoist at the boat show this year).

Last year we put the Shakespeare 2060 on a 6ft extension Shakespeare pole attached to the aft corner of the boat. The pole previously was where our VHF Radio antenna was located before we moved that to the top of the mast a few years ago. The bottom of the 2060 comes with a collar which tightens with two lock-nuts around 1" tubing.

This is one of my spring upgrades/ projects. The reason I bought the Garhauer radar pole/ engine hoist with a antennae hoop was multi usage and to clean up the stern of the boat. It will be attached to the starboard stern and braced on the rail as well as the boat. ( It also pivots and can be removed) (I also bought Garhauer as I like their quality having bought their davits 2 years ago) In addition this radar pole the engine hoist can easily be removed and stowed in our wet locker when not being used from the radar pole by lifting off the two pins it connects to the pole). The Radar will be mounted on the pole, the Shakespeare 2060 will be mounted 1 ft above on the hoop attached to the pole, and an additional stern light will be mounted on the hoop also. Eventually I will relocate our two GPS Antennas which are rail mounted to the hoop. The Shakespeare 2060 bracket will attach right on the hoop. Another good feature will be that all of these wires/ antennae wires can be bundled and made neat through the pole and enter the boat through a close-able Cam at the stern (this is good as my C-80 chart plotter where the radar will be displayed is at the helm) as opposed to lengthy wire down the mast and throughout the cabinets to the electrical/ control panel.

I will furnish pictures when the project is done.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-24-2010

hns1934 is on a distinguished road
TV reception on the hook....

My experience is quite different. Perhpas someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have a omni antenna feeding a Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner which feeds into my Dell computer. With the antenna stationary I get perfect reception....good picture and audio. If I move the antenna 18 inches in any direction the picture and audio freeze for about 60 seconds and then I get perfect reception again. If everyone else is getting great reception while the antenna is moving about, then what's my problem?
Old 02-24-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Turn off the TV.
Old 02-24-2010

Curm is on a distinguished road
I would find a friend on shore with CATV and a home network and offer to buy him or her a slingbox. Then both of you can watch TV anywhere there is access to a high speed internet connection. I'd also buy one of those gizmos that enhance your ability to receive wi fi.
Old 02-24-2010

Hesper is on a distinguished road
The Admiral gets pretty much anything she wants on the boat, but when she said the word Television, I threatened to put her overboard. I do NOT go on the water to watch TV.