Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
To my Canadian friend, There are some places you don't need air conditioning, just like you don't need a heater in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
To my Canadian friend, There are some places you don't need air conditioning, just like you don't need a heater in Canada.
LOL soooo true. I needed AC when we were getting our boat ready in Mobile to ship it west to cooler waters. The days were 40c for almost a week.

I know you guys are used to that but I'll take -40c over that particularly if I have to work in it. Fact is I'm not tough enough for 40c, all I could really do was hide and drink beer......actually I still do that but now I'm more comfortable.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 02-20-2010
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Everyone has a right to post his/her opinion, and to agree or disagree with the opinions posted. But putting down someone's opinion because they are a newbie is very uncool. As a moderator of a couple message boards, I know they tend to die without a steady influx of new participants.
Old 02-20-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
I'm glad some of you don't believe in a/c. More power to you.

Me, I am happy that the boat I bought has an a/c. When it is hot and I am plugged into AC shorepower, I'm happy to run my a/c. When I am out at anchor, and I can't run my a/c, I sleep just fine under a fan. No stress from me, perhaps some of you that have so much bottle up hatred should take a lesson.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 02-20-2010

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
Is sailing about really just about "roughing it"? I thought sailing was about freedom, and being able to do what you want to do, how and when you want to do it. Maybe some people sail to rough, maybe some people sail to get away from judgmental people.
Old 02-20-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Bottled up hatred ????

Geez.

When I read this thread I assumed it was a bit of a spoof thread started as a result of the recent generator thread about air conditioning. When i read this thread I don't sense "bottled up hatred".

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
My comments were tongue in cheek. To each his own. The main thing is getting to enjoy the water no matter how you do and with whatever equipemnt or conforts from home you wish to bring.

We enjoy our boat, like our hot water showers, enjoy our fans at anchor, a/c at the dock, like cold drinks with the ice cubes our alder barbour makes, enjoy our grill (almost as much as Cruising dad), watch movies on an HDTV, use a chartplotter and paper charts, have a dodge and bimini to protect us.

No judgement of those who like more creature comforts or less. neither makes you a "better" sailor" or right. Just set you boat up the way you and your family enjoy it...the main thing is to enjoy it.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Everyone has a right to post his/her opinion, and to agree or disagree with the opinions posted. But putting down someone's opinion because they are a newbie is very uncool. As a moderator of a couple message boards, I know they tend to die without a steady influx of new participants.
If you are referring to my response to sbradford, I suggest you go back and re-read. I was very nicely and diplomatically urging him to rethink his insulting post, not putting him down at all.

If you weren't, er, well then, uh... carry on.
Old 02-20-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Some of the folks posting here may just not understand from where the OP was coming from. Since he lives in Ontario, Canada where they need AC about 2-5 days every summer on land and nobody has ice makers in the refrigerator (cause they can just walk outside and find some). bljones also has a pretty 'dry' sense of humor so I hope no one takes any of this too seriously.

I do agree with many of you who have said that it is more about getting out on the water and being comfortable and having fun the way YOU want to. I also agree with those who said that if you don't have A/C (and can stand it) that it is sometimes easier to just move a little slower and endure then to go between the extremes of max A/C to max heat & humidity. On the other hand, much of Florida would still be pristine wilderness if there was no A/C. Heat can be brutal in some areas.

Don't misunderstand Mr. Jones. He is pulling your leg (mostly)!

Everybody has one:

Old 02-20-2010

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
I don't know where most of you are moored/berthed, but down here on the south Texas coast, fall, winter (when most of your boats are on the hard and snow covered) and spring is time to sail. Summers are way too hot and humid and the winds are light, so we use the boat as a beach house in the summer - 12K BTU AC, electric/propane/no-pressure alcohol cooking, killer stereo, refrigeration aned more, more more.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.