Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I'm sure some smarty-pantsy engineery type is gonna come in and give me a longwinded thoroughly accurate explanation that will tax both my intelligence and my attention span, but I gotta know anyway- how come you measure both a heater's ability to heat and an air conditioner's ability to cool in BTUs? It seems sorta confusing. I can have a heater on my boat that puts out 12000 BTUs and an a/c unit that puts out the same 12000 BTUs. shouldn't one of them have a + or a - sign in front of the number?

Which makes me wonder- If I have a heater putting out 12000 btu's and an a/c unit putting out 12000 btu's on my boat, both pumping away at the same time, does that make it hotter or cooler or does it just hover around the same temperature? or will it cause a black hole to open up and swallow my boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
If you are referring to my response to sbradford, I suggest you go back and re-read. I was very nicely and diplomatically urging him to rethink his insulting post, not putting him down at all...
I re-read it. This is the condescending part. It belittles his opinion based on his meager post count. Just because he did not post does not mean he has not been reading - and forming informed opinions - for the last two years:

Quote:
...with 2 posts here in two years, do you really think you have enough experience to form an informed opinion on the attitude of some here?...
I don't intend to make a big deal. Everyone occasionally posts things that rub people the wrong way - me too. But I did not misread it. It's condescending no matter how many times I read it.

But I'll let it go. Petty annoyances like this are not worth my energy.
Old 02-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I did not intend to be condescending, and didn't realize it came across that way. Thank you for the heads up.

I gotta start using smileys or something.
Old 02-20-2010

Quote:
...If I have a heater putting out 12000 btu's and an a/c unit putting out 12000 btu's on my boat, both pumping away at the same time, does that make it hotter or cooler or does it just hover around the same temperature? or will it cause a black hole to open up and swallow my boat?...
Remember Steven Wright back in the '80s? "For my birthday I got a humidifier and a dehumidifier. I put them in the same room and let them fight it out."

Quotes From STEPHEN WRIGHT :
Old 02-20-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
I'm glad some of you don't believe in a/c. More power to you.
actually no ac means you need less power....

i think we just need to all chill out :laughter
Old 02-20-2010

Quote:
I did not intend to be condescending, and didn't realize it came across that way. Thank you for the heads up.

I gotta start using smileys or something.
No sweat - it happens to everyone, especially me. Often I get called on it, especially on boards where's I'm the moderator.
Old 02-20-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"how come you measure both a heater's ability to heat and an air conditioner's ability to cool in BTUs?"
Because they are both heat transfer devices and you are measuring the British THERMAL Units, the HEAT, they produce.
Your air conditioner does not produce cold, it produces HEAT on the exhaust side. Or more correctly, it transfers HEAT from one side to the other. When it moves the heat outside, you call it an air conditioner. When you reverse the heat flow...that's also called "reverse cycle" heating, and yes, there are systems that work in both directions--making the "inside" hot or cold.
Still comes down to how much HEAT they move or produce, so it is still British THERMAL units.

It sure would make good reality TV if little gray men came down one night and stole all the air conditioners south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Somebody buy me seats on THAT 50-yard line! Or better yet, not on that line...just someplace way cooler north of that.

Cold good! Heat bad! Humid heat, worse! Leave it to the gators and bugs!
Old 02-21-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
To my Canadian friend, There are some places you don't need air conditioning, just like you don't need a heater in Canada.

BLJ Come out of your igloo and smell the roses man

We never use the A/C when away from the dock. But at the dock there are days when the wind is non-existant and things get HOT below. Besides, we like contributing to global warming!!!!
Old 02-21-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I like having A/C on the boat.

Anyone who wants to be holier than thou on the subject is invited to come sailing with me tomorrow. Looks like a good day - high temps in the upper 30s.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Wow, you are a trooper,,, would have loved to go sailing with you today. Our first probably wont be for 3-4 weeks.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner