Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Anti- Air conditioning rant

Those of you who believe that the world will come to an end without 16000 btu's of cabin refrigeration should stop reading now.

Last chance.

I mean it.

Because I gotta wonder what the hell you are doing on a BOAT in the (occasionally) sun-baked south if you can't live without the drone of an air conditioner going 24/7! Come on, folks! How can you say you are trying to "escape," "get away from it all" "live off the grid," or whatever your anti-dirt "- " is, if you are determined to bring with you the crap you profess to be trying to get away from?
Instead, you just have to find a way to make that cheap-ass window A/C unit work, don't you? Generators, macgyvered shore power connections, duct taped ductwork that looks like it was excreted from a duck replacing hatchboards connected to a rattling buzzing chillbox balanced on the bridgedeck. It looks like hell and it sounds worse.

Buy a fan. Buy/make a windscoop. Sleep in a hammock hung from the mast. Suck it up, see if you can go cold, er warm turkey for a week. Those moored nearby will thank you.

I hear Sea Rays come with A/C as standard equipment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I'm with you bljones.

Last year was my first year without air conditioning and I don't plan to go back to it. I thought that giving up A/C was going to be a lot more difficult than it was, but even when the temperature passed 110 degrees Fahrenheit in early August I did okay with just a fan blowing on me. It turns out that you get used to it after a while and it isn't that big of a deal.

One of the things I liked most about being without A/C was that before giving it up I was always uncomfortable during the summer, because as we all know if you are sitting in A/C all the time then you go outside, it is very hot. But by not being in air conditioning I was pretty much comfortable all the time, no more rushing to get from one air conditioned place to another, etc.

The biggest thing, though, is that it makes it easier to do what you want, because you aren't tied to generators and such, like bljones said. Air conditioning is one of those "it owns you" kind of things, it is nice to get away from it.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2010

XTR is on a distinguished road
I grew up on the GA coast in a house built in the 40s with no AC.

It is my firm belief that AC has been the ruination of the South because w/o it every relocated northerner** would just be a snowbird* who left in May.

Definitions for those not from the South:
*yankee - someone from the north who comes to visit, usually has many opinions about how things were done better/different somewhere other than where they are, which lead to the Delta Airlines slogan, "Delta is ready when you are"
**damned yankee - a yankee that stays

Old 02-20-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We dont have air, but if I had small children or a wife who was affected by the heat, I wouldnt let a small thing like having an air conditioner on the boat deter me from sailing...but BLjones is right..let me continue the rant

Give up your furlers-- hoist your sails like like the old days
Give up your refrigeration- no self respecting sailor would drink their beer cold
Give up your engine- goodness how did the British ever get up the Chesapeake and get to shore without an engine
Give up your lights..go hunt whales and use them to light you anchor and hurricane lamps

Now you can give up your batteries as their is no need for them.

Give up your headroom- surely the old ships with the 5 ft headroom was enough
Give up your fresh water pressurized system- dont shower...stay au natural like the beavers and skunks
Give up the propane- either eat cold food or your fish raw or carry wood/ carcoals and build a fire ( of course give up your modern extinqusher)
Give up your PFD- risk it like they did in the old days

After all sailing IS mandated to be a purist adventure..either do it all or dont do it at all right. For me who has sailed/ raced for 40 years or so I say let live and let be. If you want to have some of the above, including creature comforts so be it. Whatever gets you out on the water so you can enjoy it...good for you. I cant waste my time worrying about why or what the other guy does to make his boating adventure enjoyable, and I think no less of him if he wants to take some of his creature comforts with him.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-20-2010

sbradford is on a distinguished road
I love to sail but with my heart condition without A/C I would be limited to just a few sailing days per summer. I am also a bit offended by the holier than thou attitude that some of the hairy chested macho men take on Sailnet. If it's not done your way, hit the highway. Oh well, they will probably grow up someday.

Steve
Irwin Citation 34
Danville, VA
Old 02-20-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
About the only thing we seem to learn here which people think their opinion is the only valid one.
Old 02-20-2010

sbradford, respectfully, with 2 posts here in two years, do you really think you have enough experience to form an informed opinion on the attitude of some here?

If you're referring to my anti-AC rant, I assure you my tongue was firmly in my cheek as I wrote it. In any event, I am honoured that you found this thread so compelling that you doubled your post count to reply to it.
Old 02-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
About the only thing we seem to learn here which people think their opinion is the only valid one.
The only valid opinion is one which the opinionholder can defend.
Old 02-20-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
1. A/C ruined the neighborhoods. Before A/C everyone was out on their stoops and conversed with their neighbors. Now days with A/C, everyone are inside their homes and don't even know the family next door.

2. I believe going from and A/C space to outdoors is probably harder on your system then being without A/C. Fore once you are acclimated to ambient temps, your system don't have to adjust to swinging temperture highs and lows.

3. I have worked on vessels with A/C and had to live the the wild swings... But every once and awhile the A/C goes out and though the crew is complaining, I don't have any trouble sleeping inside the hull as long as there is a fan going.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 02-20-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Give up your furlers-- hoist your sails like like the old days
Give up your refrigeration- no self respecting sailor would drink their beer cold
Give up your engine- goodness how did the British ever get up the Chesapeake and get to shore without an engine
Give up your lights..go hunt whales and use them to light you anchor and hurricane lamps

Now you can give up your batteries as their is no need for them.

Give up your headroom- surely the old ships with the 5 ft headroom was enough
Give up your fresh water pressurized system- dont shower...stay au natural like the beavers and skunks
Give up the propane- either eat cold food or your fish raw or carry wood/ carcoals and build a fire ( of course give up your modern extinqusher)
Give up your PFD- risk it like they did in the old days
We all have our fav rants. The one I've heard, and lived is the no engine.

It is sailing after all.

But most of us have engines because it isn't about sailing. It is about having fun and being comfortable doing it.

And part of that fun is the ranting.

No PFDs? Wow that's hard core.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P