Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, in civil matters, especially dealing with the tax people, the burden of proof is on you.... not them.

I'd also point out that they could easily document your presence, given the advent of digital cameras... all they'd have to do is photograph the anchorage once a day for 90 days... They don't have to prove how long you were there each day, just that you were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos3idon View Post
Now let's say I violate the 90 day law, is the burden of proof on the local law enforcement? I feel like it might be difficult for them to prove I've been there for more than 90 days since I will be anchoring out. With the cruising grounds that I have in mind I doubt this will be any sort of problem. The particular anchorage in question has a good number of grounded abandoned vessels and no one seems to care much.

EDIT: for clarification the vessels mentioned above are abandoned and then ground themselves over several months of slowly dragging their anchors. So the quality of the sea floor for anchoring is not in question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2010

pos3idon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Actually, in civil matters, especially dealing with the tax people, the burden of proof is on you.... not them.

I'd also point out that they could easily document your presence, given the advent of digital cameras... all they'd have to do is photograph the anchorage once a day for 90 days... They don't have to prove how long you were there each day, just that you were.
In the particular area I'm thinking of there is no way the local LEO's would have time to stop by and take a picture of who's there once a day. Just so I have an idea, does anyone care to share a general idea of how large a fine we're talking about? two figures, three, four...?
Old 02-24-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
It depends on the states tax rules and sailboats are a target

There allways issues between NY and Florida with snowbirds and taxes

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-24-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
anchor

Are documented vessels included also.
Old 02-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, because all the states want your tax money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
Are documented vessels included also.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-24-2010
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road
They sure do! If I remember correctly, Massachusetts demands you file taxes returns after 30 days.

( But, last I looked at it was 20 years ago, when I did my own taxes, was paid "earned income" by a Massachusetts company, and living in Texas. ymmv. )
Old 02-24-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos3idon View Post
In the particular area I'm thinking of there is no way the local LEO's would have time to stop by and take a picture of who's there once a day. Just so I have an idea, does anyone care to share a general idea of how large a fine we're talking about? two figures, three, four...?
Just to play devil's advocate, I know of a few states that encourage citizens to turn in tax cheats, law breakers, and anyone who attempts to avoid licensing issues. And even provide a toll-free number for such purposes. So you might need to be worried about more than just LEO.
Old 02-24-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Essentially it is the High Seas

There are laws and regulations, and if they are not mentioned on the chart or in the actual harbor, then hopefully local knowledge will alert you. Legally it is your responsibility to know where anchorage is okay, but in practice, anchor somewhere until you receive information that tells you you are in the wrong spot.
Old 02-24-2010

Paarrothead is on a distinguished road
Look..Don't make a federal case out of it. You paid sales taxes when you bought the boat. Florida tax varies from 5.5 to 7 percent. If you bought the bought in Connecticut and paid 6 persent the your good to go on taxes. Just go to tax office and get sticker. $35 I think and your legal.

As for anchoring there are a few communities causing issues but they are not enforcable because florida state law has been ruled on by the State Supreme Court and the State rewote the applicable laws to comply.

try here for full story

Cruiser's Net » Search Results » anchor laws

enjoy.
Old 02-25-2010
Telstar 28

Really bad advice... If you are in a state for a long enough period of time, they come after you for taxes... many states don't care if you paid sales taxes on the boat elsewhere, and will still come after you for use and/or excise taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paarrothead View Post
Look..Don't make a federal case out of it. You paid sales taxes when you bought the boat. Florida tax varies from 5.5 to 7 percent. If you bought the bought in Connecticut and paid 6 persent the your good to go on taxes. Just go to tax office and get sticker. $35 I think and your legal.

As for anchoring there are a few communities causing issues but they are not enforcable because florida state law has been ruled on by the State Supreme Court and the State rewote the applicable laws to comply.

try here for full story

Cruiser's Net » Search Results » anchor laws

enjoy.

Telstar 28
New England