SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Anchoring out... laws... regulations...? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/62268-anchoring-out-laws-regulations.html)

pos3idon 02-23-2010 07:01 PM

Anchoring out... laws... regulations...?

Hello everyone,

I intend to engage in some coastal cruising, starting in New York, and ending up in Florida. Then spending a number of months in Florida. I have no cruising experience and I don't really understand the etiquette/laws involved with anchoring. Can someone please enlighten me? I have heard that some areas have anti-liveaboard rules, is this true? How do I know if it's ok to anchor or not? I know this is a very basic question and I appreciate your advice.

SVPrairieRose 02-23-2010 07:14 PM

You are not a livaboard, you are a cruiser. Semantics I know, but it is the difference between being welcome and being shunned.

Architeuthis 02-23-2010 07:19 PM

Rules? More like guidelines really.

Stay out of channels and away from areas that have big signs saying no anchoring.

If you overstay your welcome I expect someone will say so, though we never had that happen.

jaschrumpf 02-23-2010 07:20 PM

It's like the difference between a "yankee" and a "damned yankee."

Canuckster 02-23-2010 07:23 PM

Hi,,
To answer your question, try "ACTIVECAPTAIN.COM" This site will blow you away with the information it provides !! Happy reading.
Scott

T37Chef 02-23-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuckster (Post 573285)
Hi,,
To answer your question, try "ACTIVECAPTAIN.COM" This site will blow you away with the information it provides !! Happy reading.
Scott

Yes, great advice. ActiveCaptain - The Interactive Cruising Guidebook - Marina Reviews, Fuel Prices, Anchorages

Canuckster 02-23-2010 08:07 PM

Thanks T37Chef ! I started exploring this site, 3 hours later, lol. Sailnet IS THE PLACE !!

tager 02-23-2010 10:12 PM

High seas mate.

pos3idon 02-23-2010 11:00 PM

Part of the reason I ask is that I heard some rumors of people anchoring off of St Pete beach in Florida and having the local law enforcement send tickets to the address at which the boat is registered which for a full time cruiser means they never got them. As rumor has it the unpaid tickets then turned into warrants. Does anyone know if this sort of thing actually happens? PS Active Captain seems to be a wealth of information! It even has a particular anchorage I was thinking of using listed.

hellosailor 02-23-2010 11:05 PM

Rules and laws, yes indeed. And they will vary in each state, and even from county to county or municipality within each state. Then once you get down to Florida, if you are in-state for more than 90 days, they may also demand that you register the boat in Florida and everything that goes along with that. Like taxes.