Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010

turban10 is on a distinguished road
Hey KTKT,
I would love to hear your opinion about your charter when you get back. We would like to charter (when the kids get a little older), but until then, i will have to live vicariously through you guys. :-)

By the way Danielgoldberg,
Great write up. I had a smile on my face as i was reading it. Its 18 degrees in Chicago, so regardless of the mid 60s, it sounded wonderful and i have been daydreaming about it all day long.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
Sunday Provisioning

Dan, did the Moorings leave a bottle of rum and mixer on board as part of the "welcome package" like they do in Tortola?

We will probably arrive either Sunday or after hours on Saturday. It looks like provisioning on Sunday is possible, except I understand the liquor stores are closed all day on Sunday.

Thanks!

Ben.
Old 02-25-2010

KTKT is on a distinguished road
Will do!
Old 02-25-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by turban10 View Post
Hey KTKT,
I would love to hear your opinion about your charter when you get back. We would like to charter (when the kids get a little older), but until then, i will have to live vicariously through you guys. :-)

By the way Danielgoldberg,
Great write up. I had a smile on my face as i was reading it. Its 18 degrees in Chicago, so regardless of the mid 60s, it sounded wonderful and i have been daydreaming about it all day long.
Thanks for the kind words. How old are your kids? I'll tell you, we had our kids on our boats since birth. The younger they've been, the easier they've been. Also, we flew to George Town one year when they were tiny tots to visit cruiser friends. It's very doable, regardless of the kids' ages. At least that's my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Dan, did the Moorings leave a bottle of rum and mixer on board as part of the "welcome package" like they do in Tortola?

We will probably arrive either Sunday or after hours on Saturday. It looks like provisioning on Sunday is possible, except I understand the liquor stores are closed all day on Sunday.

Thanks!

Ben.
Yup, rum and jam, of all things.

I think the supermarket is open until 7:00 on Saturday, so you might be able to get your provisioning done Saturday, depending on the time you actually arrive. Liquor stores were closed on Sunday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2010

Taxis to and from Price Right

We were thinking of dividing our crew and send 1/2 to Price Right at 6:45 pm via taxi straight from the Marsh Harbour airport next Saturday and the other 1/2 directly to Moorings with all the luggage. Will it be easy to get a taxi from Price Right to Moorings? We don't want to spend Sunday morning food shopping, but only have ashort amount of time Sat. before Price Right closes. Any info about taxis would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2010

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
Taxi's monitor channel 6 on VHF. You can call them using a handheld if you are taking one, from the boat or get the staff at moorings to call them.

Here is a helpful link to VHF usage in the Abacos. Be sure to make your first 8:15 check in on the Cruiser's Net. They will have a time for new arrivals let everyone know about their arrival. You might link up with old friends. Plus you will find out about weather and activities happening that day.
Abaco Bahamas Cruising Information

Have fun!

Last edited by HerbDB; 02-27-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2010

Musings from Abacos Charter - March 6

Thanks for all the advice before our charter. The Abacos Charter was great! This was our 4th charter - 2 BVI, 1 St. Martin, and 1 Abacos. We got to Marsh Harbour Airport around 6 p.m. Saturday. 2 took a taxi to the supermarket and the other 2 went to Moorings and started checking out the Cat. We had a sleep aboard, which I would highly recommend. My brother is our captain, although we all have quite a bit of boating experience. He is one of those methodical guys that thinks everything through. It sure made a big difference on this charter. The navigation was quite a bit trickier than in the BVI - much shallower. Our methodical captain/brother had put every single weigh point from the cruising guide into his handheld GPS. It sure made a big difference and each day was quite a big easier. You cannot navigate by sight as you can in the BVI. The weather was much colder than we expected and it often blew 25-30. Most days were partly cloudy. We had heavy rain one night only.

Sunday - after the Mooring briefing (which was NOT brief) we departed Marsh Harbour and headed for Settlement Harbour on Great Guana Cay. The navigation was farly easy. The only thing to note is Footes Cay - easy jog to the east of Footes Cay. We got a mooring ball and then dingied in. There is a path to Nippers - lots of college kids on spring break in pink Nippers T-shirts - somewhat amusing!

Monday - headed north through Whale Cay Channel. Make sure you have at least 2 days of good weather if heading through the Whale. It was considered an easy day for passage, yet we did a bit of "surfing" through the Whale. Picked up a morring at Donnie's in Black Sound. This Settlement Harbour is too shallow. We wlaked around New Plymouth - nice town. We later dingied to Pineapples for dinner. It was about 60 degrees. We froze at this outdoor restaurant. If you go when weather is warmer, it is a great spot with good food and beautiful sunsets.

Tuesday - Back through Whale Cay Channel - great weather for this passage to Treasure Cay. We got a slip at the marina. What a gorgeous beach! National Geographic lists it as one of the 10 prettiest beaches in the world. Make sure you get cinnamon buns early in the morning - open at 7 am at the breakfast spot near the Marina. It is worth the walk to the beach to see the sunrise.

Wednesday - Early departure because of tide to Man-O-War Cay. The Harbour entrance is very narrow. The north mooring field is better than the south - much shorter dingy ride. The Sail Shop has famous canvas bags that are only sold in th island - no phone or internet orders, no shipping. Great restaurant - Dock and Dine.

Friday - headed to Hope Town. This is the most built up place we vistied. The light house is pretty cool. We rented a golf cart and tour the island. Tahiti beach is very nice. While at dinner at Capt. Jaacks, the rain came pouring down. We got drenched dingying back to the boat, but felt pleased that this was the only rain all week.

Saturday - back to Marsh Harbour and then home to realilty.

Overall - better than or equal to the BVI in all respects.
Old 03-28-2010

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
Great report, thanks!

Settlement Harbor was too shallow for a _cat_? What is it _not_ too shallow for? I picture a harbor full of moored bass boats :-)
Old 03-28-2010

There are 2 Settlement Harbours. The one at Guana Cay is plenty deep. Avoid the one at Green Turtle Cay. Get a mooring ball at Donnie's in Black Sound.