SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dry Tortugas Trip for any other boats interested

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Cruisingdad 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All!

On or about April 1st of this year, we will be heading down to the Tortugas. For those that have not been there, it is absolutely gorgeous (if you enjoy remote). It is only accessible via boat or sea plane and is a solid sail/overnighter for most vessels. I would put it about 125 nm from Fort Myers/Naples and around 70 nm from Key West.

We will be departing Fort Myers, weather permitting, sometime that Thursday on the 1st. If there is any hint of a northern, we will postpone a day/two. Fort Myers is a great push-off point to make the trip and prepare. You will have to bring ALL of your own supplies, including water and fuel, as none of that is available there. However, for those that have never been there, the reefs and water is pristine and the diving/snorkeling superb. THere are MANY wrecks and if you do not like wrecks, there is just some great reefs and even a moat you can dive.

We anticipate our return at or around 12th of April. Again, if there is any hint of a northern, we will not push off. We will be bringing our children (ages 6 & 9). So for cruising boats with kiddos, they will have someone to play with. For those of you that have never made a offshore pasage & overnighter, we can help walk you through the preparation process and travel together for safety. For those that are experienced, you will just have the camaraderie of a bunch of other sailors. We generally try to organize a pot luck during the stay on the beech and some other things with the anchorage which everyone can participate in, should they wish (it is really cool and you meet a lot of cool people). The fishing is superb as it is an exclusion zone, but you may find cuban fishermen coming in for a few days that LOVE to trade for cheap liquor beer (they will drink it hot). Last time out, we traded a six pack of Milwaulkees Worst Beer and a half a jug of Albertson's Vodka for 17 (yes 17) lobster tails!!!!!

It is a trip you would not forget and I made it one of our must-see's with our kids before we head off south. Just reply back here or drop me a PM and I will help out as I can. It could be a lot of fun and is a good precursos to what cruising is like and offshore sailing. Come with us and you can do it in a more controlled/safe environment.

All the best,

Brian & fam

PS To be clear, we are not interested in Crew. THis is for a person to take their own boat.

See less See more
#3 ·
My wife and I are interested. We are now at Demopolis Alabama and are planning to go to Panama city this week. We have been planning on the tortugas for some time. Weather permitting we will try to be at Fort Myers the last week of March. Contact information??? A marina to meet at??

#4 ·
Wow! Great news!

Yes, we are leaving at or about April 1/2 (weather permitting).

Fort Myers Beach is a great place to push off from. You will want to make sure you have plenty of water and food and diesel. You cannot get anything in the Tortugas.

I will drop you both PM's to work out details.

Brian

#12 ·
You can join RVBOY (Cam) over in Yosemite.

Aw shucks
I just found out there's no bridge to the Tortugas.:eek:
My motor home won't make it. :D Too bad, sounds like fun. Have a good time anyway.

signed
Dock Boy:D

#11 · (Edited)
Tortugas

We expect to get there a few days earlier than you, and might depart before you arrive -- but if you pull in and see a 36' Catalina "Indefatigable" -- dinghy over for a beer! (And bring your kids, my 11 year old will be sick of adults by then)

#15 ·
Put us down for a possible, maybe, sort of, I don't know. :rolleyes: We'll try to make it down there. It's on our "to do List" and is on the calander for that time frame. We are almost done with our refit and would like to head out ASAP but are shy a few eccential items. Electronics are not quite finished and the new helm I got from Edson was the wrong one. All remaining supplies should be here this week. A week to finish installation and we're off. ....................We'll see

#16 ·
Mike - that would be great. Also, everyone here that has responded to me in PM, please excuse my absense. I was in a race in Port Charlotte over the weekend and late getting back here and have been handling a thousand other things.

Brian

PS Any of you race this wekeend in the Conquistador?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.