Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010

Lendow is on a distinguished road
CC 29MII vrs Olsen 30

I have been looking at the olsen 30 and have seen it has done a lot of ocean racing. The boat has crossed oceans etc... The question: If an olsen 30 can cruise the oceans can a properly set up cc29MII do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2010

olgriz is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if you mean the Olson 30 or the Olson 911s. The 911s is definitely ocean and cruise-capable with standing headroom and all the amenities that the 30 doesn't have. The former owner of my 911s sailed it in the Transpac to Hawaii. I'd sure like to take mine to Mexico.
Old 02-26-2010

According to an article in Good Old Boat it was referring to an olson 30. They mention no head room but some sailor is racing it all over the oceans. I am still wondering if the cc29 MII would be comparable as it to is a fin keel racer type.
Thanks
Len
Old 02-26-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Frankly, there are probably more 28-32' boats capable of racing offshore than one would think. Go back many years to the MORC rules, some will say a precurser to the IRC rules not, but with a limit of 30' to the length, with a mod to 32' IIRC at some point in time.

The Olsen 30, C&C 29 as mentioned, my Jeanneau Arcadia, ranger 26 to name a few did reasonably well under those rules. I'm sure it quit being a BIG race rule, as the ior did, etc for various and sundry reasons. But if you look at Europes Transquandra, many if not most of the boats were in the low to mid 30' range. This is a solo/DH ocean race. Or look at Beneteaus Figaro 1D boats, mostly sold in Europe.

Anyway, There was supposed to be a third boat this month, but lack of advertising $$ etc put a kabosh on that from what I under stand, would have been an interesting 3some of boat if the third had been published. Oh well, we'll all have to wait until july.

Marty
Old 02-26-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lendow View Post
According to an article in Good Old Boat it was referring to an olson 30. They mention no head room but some sailor is racing it all over the oceans. I am still wondering if the cc29 MII would be comparable as it to is a fin keel racer type.
Thanks
Len

The 'fin keel racer type' is a pretty broad brush to paint with. The Olson 30 is a Ultra Light Displacement Boat (ULDB), the Olson 911s and 911se (C.Schumaker designed) is a lighter boat, but not a ULDB. Both have excellent offshore race records, and are very well built. Without a doubt, the 911 will be a more comfortable boat, slower than the O-30, but still faster than the C&C you like. For 30 feet, comfortable, bomb proof, you might want to look at a Yankee 30. Yankee 30 Owners Association S&S design from about 1974, probably a bit slower than your C&C, but sails very very well to windward... nice lines and a beautiful sheer spring for a smaller boat.

Of the boats mentioned above with your initial comparison in mind, my own preference would be for the 911s, the little sister to our boat, the Express 34. Unfortunately, like the 34, not too many were built. When they come on the market, they get snapped up pretty quickly.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 02-26-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added information
Old 02-26-2010

Do you think the cc29MII could cross oceans ? I do like the looks of the Yankee 30. Thanks for feedback
Old 02-27-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
That's a tough one. I'm not familiar with the boat other than knowing one when I see it in the marina. The only thing I'd feel comfortable saying about all the boats mentioned above is the following:

Many boats, even ones that aren't thought of as 'blue water' boats, given solid physical preparation of both boat and sailor, can safely cross an ocean. The biggest variable will be the latter. What are the limitations of each boat that you can live with? Some boats will be much more comfortable, sea kindly, and have better tankage, etc... than any mentioned above (thinking about something like a Baba 30) It sounds like you have a purchase budget of around 15k. How much will you have to properly prep the boat? Are you athletic enough that an O-30 or O-29 might to work for you? Do you have the resources to beef up, replace, and add gear, build sails, etc... for the C&C? In the end, IMHO, it's all about properly preparing and understanding the limits of you and your boat, then making the appropriate plans.
Old 02-27-2010

JimB517 is on a distinguished road
olson 30

The Olson 30 is a small, fast, wet, low freeboard, minimal headroom, super fast downwind planing race boat. The guys that race it to Hawaii put up with a great deal of discomfort. They are only on board for a short time. The boat is most likely shipped back.

None of the above I think you'd want in a long term cruising boat (except the speed).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.