SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Run to the Border Race (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/62356-run-border-race.html)

Dulcitea 02-25-2010 09:28 PM

Run to the Border Race

Hey, has anyone done the Run to the Border Race from Newport to San Diego? It is in April. I'm thinking it would be fun and would love to ask questions of anyone who has done it. Thanks!

poopdeckpappy 02-25-2010 09:35 PM

I haven't but, my neighbor does every year, loves it, and wins his class most times, he had been racing a Columbia 50 for the last several years, but this year the Columbia went up for sale as he just bought a Andrews 70 for racing

JimB517 02-27-2010 06:16 PM

did it last year

2nd in class, first overall monohull doublehanded. Short Course. What are your questions?

Dulcitea 02-28-2010 10:57 PM

First off---congrats! You must have had a blast.

I saw the ad from the race in The Log. It made it seem pretty all-inclusive low-key race.

However, since I first asked the question, I have looked at the 2009 and 2010roster and unless I'm reading it wrong, the boats competiting are relatively fast race-cruisers. No PHRF was as high as mine at 270.

Also, there are very, very few singlehanders.

These two factors make me think that this is probably not the race for me since I'm pretty new to ocean racing and have no experience long distance racing.

COOL 03-01-2010 01:54 PM

I sailed my Islander 30, Double Handed on the Long Course,
in the inaugural race last year. It worked out very well for us.
It was a quick race and we were able to complete the course
in about 15 hrs, with one of the smallest and slowest rated
boats out there.
Logistically it was a much more feasible option for me than
the Ensenada Race, and my boat was back in its slip in
Long Beach by Sunday evening.
There is no Singlehanded division, and if you have
limited experience with overnight racing, your best bet
will be to find a crew position on some one elses boat
for your first few races.

JimB517 03-01-2010 04:25 PM

Border Run

I did the race in my Catalina 25 double handed. PHRF 228. Short Course. We finished at about 1 AM. Then we turned around and sailed home to Mission Bay, getting in around 4 AM. Slept and went to the party.

This is a good, low key, way to start ocean racing. You can certainly race the double handed class single if you want to. The organizers will let just about anything go.

The short course is about 65 miles. You should plan on finishing the next morning. It is usually a downwind run. Spinnaker or Asym is a good bet.

As I recall, there was a cruising class. You can't motor, like in Newport - Ensenada or San Diego - Ensenada, but this is for less competitive boats, maybe those with dacron sails and not all the race equipment.

By all means, enter. You have to learn sometime. This is a good one to start with.