Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
These responses are great, and hysterical. Monkeybutt???!!! How do you sleep with yourself!

John, that's a great looking dog and family you've got there. Congrats! I have a hard time getting a labradoodle though, only because of a Budweiser commercial I saw that totally made fun of any man with that particular breed. Notwithstanding their apparently poor beer genes, I'm going to look into that as a serious option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
a border collie/terrier/wookiee combo.

Yup, that thing's definitely got a little Chewy in 'em!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Wwgllgagaaghaghaaaaaa
Old 02-26-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
In my experience you guys forgot one thing about pugs -- they fart -- a lot.

My buddy has two and they can clear out a room. Hard to believe such a concentrated odor can come from such a small package. I can't imagine that smell inside a closed up boat on a hot, rainy august day.

John, your labradoodle is a real cutie, and Pappy I LOVE the name MonkeyButt! I can just see you calling him LOL!!!

Seriously, while all the caveats about labs are true I'd love to get another one. There's just something about those big goofy dogs. The problem is getting a 70lb dog up and down the companionway steps, especially when they get older.

We're currently dogless, but we keep bacon treats on board and every dog on the dock comes to visit us,
Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 02-26-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
That must be a diet problem. If you feed a low quality dog food, or otherwise poor doggy diet, there will be bad smells. The first ingredient in any dog food ought to be meat. If you feed the dog mostly corn, and it is not a breed that thrives on low-protein food, it will fart a lot.

I feed Purina Pro Plan, it is a step up from cheaper dog foods, 35 bucks for 35 pounds, but won't break the bank compared to Wellness at 48.99 for 30lbs.

Seriously though, dog farts are usually a sign of a diet problem, just like in humans.
Old 02-26-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
I'm new to boating, but I am experienced in dog-ging (I own five, I amateur race/lure course/show them, blah, blah, dog owner credentials blah).

I now can't remember if the OP ever owned a dog, but assuming this is new...

I wouldn't wed to one breed, or mutt, or mix-a-poodle; the important thing is to find that young dog with a personality and temperament that works for your family and then a size for your boat. If you do love a certain breed, try a breed rescue -- almost all breeds have them and have dogs who need homes. They tend to be well-vetted, and the foster homes have a pretty good idea of what you are getting, personality wise.

I find myself thinking of a post I read recently about being out for a long time on his boat, and then grousing that his nine month old lab peed on his blanket. So that said:

Whatever dog ends up speaking to you, don't get a young puppy and expect it to not pee, poop or barf where you don't want it to. It may well chew or do other annoying but very normal puppy things to your boat, your blankets, your food, your shoes, your fingers, your hat, your expensive handheld GPS left on the seat... You get the idea.

A general rule of thumb is however many months old your puppy is is about how often it'll need to go. Nobody should be selling young puppies, but for example, a six month old puppy will need to relieve itself roughly ever six hours maximum. An excited or anxious puppy might do it more often.

I'd also caution that a dog might feel a bit overwhelmed with the excitement and newness of being The! New! Dog! and a boat dog all at once. Take it slow and make sure the experience is positive for him/her. It'll look to its people for cues on how to react to situations.

My five or six doggie cents. Good luck in your search!

(and since we are showing off dogs, here's one of mine. Not really a boat dog.)

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.

Last edited by daydreamer92; 02-26-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: re: farting. There is no such thing as a fartless dog, no matter what breed or diet. :D
Old 02-26-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
... I have a hard time getting a labradoodle though, only because of a Budweiser commercial I saw that totally made fun of any man with that particular breed. Notwithstanding their apparently poor beer genes, I'm going to look into that as a serious option.
Daniel, I haven't seen the commercial, but I think a get the picture. My daughters like to dress up our pup in pink ribbons, etc, which drives my son crazy.

The solution for guys is to refer to the labradoodles simply as a "mutt", which is effectively what they are.

Seriously though, from a temperment and size standpoint, they make great family boat dogs.

Lots of handsome dogs in this thread....

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-26-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer92 View Post

I'd also caution that a dog might feel a bit overwhelmed with the excitement and newness of being The! New! Dog! and a boat dog all at once. Take it slow and make sure the experience is positive for him/her. It'll look to its people for cues on how to react to situations....
That's interesting. Our vet advised exactly the opposite. He urged us to get the pup out boating as soon as possible if we hoped to bring her along on our sailing trips.

So we did (see photos). And I have to admit it worked out quite well. For the most part, she is non-plussed by the boat, and seems to view it as just another good place to take a nap. You know, "dog's life" and all.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-26-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
That's interesting. Our vet advised exactly the opposite. He urged us to get the pup out boating as soon as possible if we hoped to bring her along on our sailing trips.
::nods::

I feel acceptance to sudden change depends on that particular dog and the people in charge of change. I've had "bomb proof" dogs who take most anything in stride, and dogs who take quite a while to get used to change.

I just thought it prudent to mention the possibility that the new pet might feel overwhelmed if a lot of change happened at once. So let me add to that: Your mileage may vary.

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.
Old 02-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm pretty sure that the black dog is a TIBETAN TERRIER or a mix of one... Here's a photo of a purebred Tibetan Terrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Go to the pound. you'll know when you see the right dog, and the right dog will find you. Both of ours are pound mutts, a shepherd/coyote mix, and a border collie/terrier/wookiee combo.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.