Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
We've got a Jack Russell. smartest dog I ever had. 16 lbs. swims great. Loves boats. Natural born killer for rats, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer92 View Post
I now can't remember if the OP ever owned a dog, but assuming this is new...
I'm not at all new to dogs. I have had dogs my entire life, save for the last 8 years or so. My wife is not a dog person, which explains the hiatus. I had a dog when we met and it was made pretty plain at the outset when we first started dating that if it were her or the dog, she might not fare so well.

Where I lack expeience is with small dogs on boats, which is the situation we're about to launch into because our boys want a dog, my wife has become an advocate (go figure), and I insist that we get one small enough that's easy to handle on the boat.

By the way, your pic, an Afghan, eh? That was my last dog, a blue Afghan hound named Corwin. I loved that dog like I'm unlikely to love any other non-human creature (and plenty of humans too). I cried like a baby when we had to put him down, and my father observed at the time that I'm less likely to be that upset when he passes (he's probably right).

Anyway, I take your point on not being wedded to a particular breed, but we really want a dog that doesn't weigh more than 20 to 25 pounds (want to be able to fly with her in the cabin if need be), it can't shed (wife and one boy have allergies, and we are pretty fanatic about keeping our boat and house clean), and that limits the options.

The list we've created thus far has become (i) westy, (ii) mini labradoodle, (iii) cockapoo, or (iv) some mangy mutt we come across that fits the bill and tugs at our heart strings. A most manly listing of pooches!

We're leaning against a Jack Russell or Schipperke only becuase they appear to have a rep of being yappy and hyper. Too bad too, particularly on the Schipp, as I like the idea of a barge dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2010

CGMojo is on a distinguished road
I've always had Springer Spaniels and they are great companions and terrific water dogs. They can get big (35-50 lbs) and will require a lot of activitity.

With that said, my friends Ty and Suzanne have had a great time with Rudy, their minature weiner dog (http://www.libertysails.com/html/rud...g_canine.html).
Old 02-27-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
Close! That's a Borzoi. ::secret sighthound club handshake::

Re: Yappy -- you may find a Schip that isn't yappy, perhaps. They weren't yappy in the situations I've seen them in, but this was a dog show setting. If you realllly like them, talk to Schip breeders (good ones) and see what their experiences are.

One possibility is to attend a local dog show with the wife and kids, check out the breeds you like, and talk to the people at the other end of the leashes when they aren't going into the ring. Just a suggestion.

Enjoy the search!

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.
Old 02-27-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
CG, I've heard that cocker spaniels can be a little agressive and are prone to fear biting around kids (had this happen in our family).

Do springer spaniels have this issue?

2Gringos, how is your Jack Russell on the boat? I just assumed a jack would get frustrated in a closed space. They seem to have boundless energy.

The urge for another dog is definitely there and we're trying to settle on a couple of breeds to look at. The wife is leaning towards a weiner dog, and they are cute, but I'm used to big goofy dogs and am trying to recalibrate to the idea of a boat sized dog.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-27-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
We have what has been described by a vet as the 'mellowest Jack Russell" he has ever seen. When we picked him out, all the other puppies in the bin were crowding around us, jumping up and down, etc. typical JRT behaviour, and this one walked over, sniffed my hand, wagged his tail a couple times, and then went back to where he had been napping and lay down and just watched all the hubbub. People are always commenting on how well behaved he is. All the other dogs we have owned in our lives were much bigger dogs, leaning heavily toward retrievers and such. I used to be a hunter. This is our first foray into the world of 'yappy' dogs, and we agree that when this one wears out we will get another.

he absolutely loves boats, even the inflatable kayak. If he gets near the ocean, he will typically jump in the water for a swim. No coaxing needed. Biggest hassle with him on boats is that when we catch a fish we have to restrain the dog or he will bite it. He will bite a six foot barracuda or a six inch yellowtail. Makes no difference to him. He has been known to jump overboard after a fish when we throw it back in. So when one of us has a 'fish on', the first thing the other does is throw a line on the dog. He is an excellent swimmer.

We have seen other JRTs that are yappy to the point of being obnoxious, but I don't blame the dogs. I blame the owners for not training them. They are very, very smart and easy to train.

Last edited by 2Gringos; 02-27-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
So when one of us has a 'fish on', the first thing the other does is throw a line on the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
We have seen other JRTs that are yappy to the point of being obnoxious, but I don't blame the dogs. I blame the owners for not training them.
Truer words were never spoken.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-27-2010

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
Ok, This is definately a great thread! I love all you sailors dogs, they are all beautiful!! John, never or heard of a labradoodle, miniature, golden, or otherwise, but I have to admit , that is one cute dog....I guess I missed the beer commercial.
I admit though I am partial to the tug-at your -heartstrings, mutts...particularly of the lost or strayed variety . I have had two, both great boat dogs, though both pretty big and definate shedders. One a shepard /husky mix I had for 18 years and my current pitbul/dobie/rotweiler mix, (thats all I have to tell people to protect my boat ) Actually, he is the friendliest ,mellowist dog I have ever met, and noow that he is going on 14, all he really wants to do is sleep. Well, like I said, this thread is so great it actually motivated me to try and attempt to post my first picture here on sailnet, or anywhere else for that matter! OK so here goes, say hi Charlie(please work). well it is a little smaller than I had hoped for but I will work on this now!
Old 02-27-2010
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
[IMG][/IMG]

Westies make good boat dogs. This is Max, on July 4 last summer just before we got a 2" cloudburst. We have 3 and they all do well on the boat, just not at the same time. Give them a summertime haircut and shedding is not a big issue. There are a lot of good dogs for boats, but I think you will have to work hard to beat the westies!
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

Old 03-01-2010
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Here is an article on the subject from this months sailing magazine.

(click here)