Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Wow Dan! A dog huh?

First of all, I have had dogs on my boats for 15 years. We have never been without them.

The best of the breeds that I have direct experience with are Miniature Schnauzers. They are very affectionate and loving toward the family (kids especially). They will build a very close bond to their owners. They are smart, almost too smart for their own good. They do not shed but must be shaved/groomed. We generally groomed our own, but to each his own.

That being said, I am not sure I would want that dog on the boat again because any long haired dog always gets the stickers in their fur. For Scooter, our last Min Schnauzer, we ended up keeping his skrit really short or almost non-existent because it was such an issue. Depending on how you will use the boat/dog, this becomes an issue because they have to go to shore a lot. Min Sch's sometimes have ear problems or get Schnauzer bumps, but in general are very easy to care for. Min Schnauzers are natural mousers and will actively hunt them out. I have not owned a single schnauzer that did not catch at least one mouse. It is in their blood.

If the long hair was not a big isue for me, I would consider a Min/teacup Yorkee. I have owned one. They are great little dogs and even when they poop or pee where tehy are not supposed to, it is not a huge deal because there simply is not much there. They tend to build close relationships with their owners and can be little 'yippers', but they make a good boat dog because of their size. They can swim. They can run around the boat and still get plenty of exercise.

We currently have a big, fat english Bulldog. That is probably the worst of all boat dogs, HOWEVER: they love to just sit around so they are easy to care for on the boat. However, they snore like a freight train, belch like beer drinker, eat Wombats for breafast, pick their teeth with Labradoodles, and fart out Sailingdogs. HEHE!

In all sesriousness, my friend, what are your plans with this dog? Are you considering cruising? Long vacations? You know your business better than me, but cruising with dogs is tough. It sounds really easy to board them, but in reality, our dogs have really gone sullen when we leave them behind. If I could go back, I would not have bought my bulldog. Not because she is not a great boat dog, but because of the difficulties associated with any dog where we are going.

Just some thoughts, but I know you know that stuff better than I.

Brian

Here is Fatty -

Here is Sissie and Scooter. Sissie (on the left) is dad's dog. Scooter (rigth) grew up on boats and is ours.

This is scooter on his last sail. I took him out (banged up the boat doing it) for one last ride. That was his place - staring out behind us or riding in the dink. I put him down that next day. Broke my heart.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 03-01-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
In all sesriousness, my friend, what are your plans with this dog? Are you considering cruising? Long vacations? You know your business better than me, but cruising with dogs is tough. It sounds really easy to board them, but in reality, our dogs have really gone sullen when we leave them behind.
Hey there Brian. I hear all that, loud and clear, and it's not anything I haven't thought long and hard about. I've had dogs all my life, save for the past 9 years or so, so I know full well what it's all about, including boarding them when we've been away on the boat. It's brutal. That said, my family REALLY wants a dog. My wife even has gotten very energetic about it, and she's not a dog person through and through. It's one of those things where you can see where it's headed, and you either can make a fuss, or you can get onboard and do your best to make it work out.

The typical problems with dogs on boats is why I have insisted we get a smallish non-shedding dog (or at least minimal shedding; no dog truly is "non" shedding). We also are going to go all out on training the thing to go to the bathroom on the boat. We'll walk her for sure, but I really want her to be able to do her thing on board.

And in closing, keep those ugly hounds away from my beautiful little girl (see next post for the news!).

Old 03-01-2010

Drum Roll Please!!!!

We have taken the plunge, and are acquiring none other than -- a Mutt! It's the same kind of dog that John has, but I can't bring myself to state the name out load and publicly like this (can't let go of my manhood just quite yet). Let's just say that it combines the best color and personality traits of a Golden Retriever, with the non-shedding, hypoallergenic and size qualities of a Poodle. As John said, she's a Mutt! I can live with that.

Here's a pic:

Now we just need to come up with a name. My wife has vetoed "Wench." After that I'm out of ideas.

Last edited by danielgoldberg; 03-01-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Winch.
Old 03-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... John has a Labradoodle, not a Goldendoodle. I'd point out that Goldendoodles can get quite big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
We have taken the plunge, and are acquiring non other than -- a Mutt! It's the same kind of dog that John has, but I can't bring myself to state the name out load and publicly like this (can't let go of my manhood just quite yet). Let's just say that it combines the best color and personality traits of a Golden Retriever, with the non-shedding, hypoallergenic and size qualities of a Poodle. As John said, she's a Mutt! I can live with that.

Here's a pic:

Now we just need to come up with a name. My wife has vetoed "Wench." After that I'm out of ideas.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Daniel,

Congrats on the new "mutt"!!

I think you'll be pleased with these little half-breeds.

We were lazy and did not "boat train" ours. But we are only sailing coastal Chesapeake, so it hasn't been much of an issue. When she was a pup, I made some midnight trips ashore, but at this point she can make it all night and then some (better than us ).

Best of luck -- and let us know how it goes.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Umm... John has a Labradoodle, not a Goldendoodle. I'd point out that Goldendoodles can get quite big...
The pix he posted looked like a Golden, but I'm sure there are light colored labradoodles, um, I mean Mutts.

I should have been more specific, ours is a mini, or toy. She'll grow to be about 20 lbs and 14-15 inches high at the shoulders. Small enough to toss overboard when racing.

Old 03-01-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
The pix he posted looked like a Golden, but I'm sure there are light colored labradoodles, um, I mean Mutts.
Yeah, these mutts come in many different colors. The thing is, you've got chocolate, black, and yellow labs, and then poodles have even more colors than that. So there's quite a bit of color variability.

Our dog's mother was a small yellow lab, her father was a yellow miniature poodle. All the pups ranged in color from tawny yellow (ours) to nearly white.

The golden doodles are more standardized in color.

Given the predicted size, yours sounds like she is not "first generation" goldendoodle? If so, she'll not only be smaller, but she should be less prone to shedding, too.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-01-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Congrats Dan! That's a great looking pup! You guys will enjoy her.

Brian

PS My dog can beat up your dog... snicker.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Given the predicted size, yours sounds like she is not "first generation" goldendoodle? If so, she'll not only be smaller, but she should be less prone to shedding, too.
Correct. F1b. Those two traits are exactly what we were targeting.

And Brian, that Yorkie ain't beatin up nuttin'. Except maybe you.