Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Yorkie won't beat up on CD on the grounds that it wouldn't be a fair fight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Small enough to toss overboard when racing.
DG - you are my kind of guy.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-01-2010

byrd151 is on a distinguished road
We have a Jack Russell and another one who is a mixed something variety that are alway with us. The Jack is a perfect boat dog....the admiral named Tut. The other mixed has poodle and supposedly cocker in him named Harken. Harken just lays flat in the cockpit while we are sailing, but prefers land, but does not want to be left. Does better in the dinghy riding around. The Jack wants to be on the bow all the time (we don't let him up there in rough water). But you can watch when the boat rolls, his body and legs move down with the waves, like he can anticipate the rolling. If he is up on the cabin top around the dodger and it's rough, he will prop his self beside something solid. Or at times he just sits in the cockpit but sticks his head out as if looking ahead to see what where we are going. Had a sunfish and he likes being on the front of it....you could tell him tacking and he would duck with the sail coming across...they are smart dogs. Ours is the short legged variety and though he can swim - not sure if he could go a long ways. Drawback - he is a shedding machine - but we would not trade him for anything. Too much personality. Would post his picture but can't figure out how.

Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL
Old 03-02-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

This is my dog last July, born mid march. Got him wed before memorial day, on the boat that weekend.

Marty
Old 03-02-2010

BigAssHam is on a distinguished road
Small dogs suck. Newfies make great boat dogs.
Old 03-03-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
The small dog bred for boats is the Skipperkee. Lower risk with that dog than any other. You want to consder whether the characteristics of that dog are compatible with your family. They're more terrier like than retrever like. They were bred to protect barges... bark and also be rattors. Go to a dog show and see if you like them. Potragese (Sp?) water doge area also bred for boats but they're standard poodle size and reeeely hyper. The bigger issue is that any dog can be a great boat dog if you start them as a puppy on board and spend the time train them to be OK on the boat. An older dog amy never be comfortable with being on board. Jessica Stone has a book out on the subject "Doggie on Deck" which you may find helpful.
Old 04-05-2012
Spencer 35

McMikeJr is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat dogs?

I'm lovin' this thread. I'm looking for a dog for a liveaboard, this thread is awesome!
Spencer 35 Hull 8
Chesapeake, VA
Old 04-05-2012

delite is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat dogs?

I wouldnt consider a pug as they shed a lot. Its not so bad getting it off your clothes and upholstery but is really sucks in your food. They should come with a handle attached to their backs as they have limited mobility at the best of times (sorry guys!). I had a good friend who had one. We called it "Fugly" to shorten a term for obvious reasons. Labs are my favorite but are definitely on the large size for many boats. Mine would take up most of the cockpit if you let him although I didnt have to help him up from the cabin to the cockpit or anywhere else. Also consider a non-slip pad under their blanket or whatever as they tend to get a little nervous when tacking and they start sliding.
Old 04-05-2012

addict is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to addict
Boat dogs?

I have a border collie and she turned out to be a great boat dog. She's great on the water. Loves seeing animals like dolphins. And she's great getting in and out of a dingy. I normally wrap the bow line around one of the winches, pull the bow up and she walks right in or out of the boat.
Old 04-06-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
yes we are divorced now

I lived aboard my Flicka with my wife , a Brittany Spaniel, and a Jack Russell and yes we are divorced now.