Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat dogs?

I've got a standard labradoodle (75 lbs) that I'm interested/concerned with how he's gonna take to being on a boat. It could be a big factor in how my plans turn out, cause I don't know what I'd do if I can't have him around.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2012

ovb is on a distinguished road

I have a Border Collie/Golden Retriever mix......the smartest dog that I have ever seen...he knows to go to the high side...and when I say "ready about" he makes sure that he is clear of all lines on tacks...he barks at buoys and boats plus he was named sailor of the year by my yacht club...we got him free from a farmer.
Old 04-09-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
I've got a standard labradoodle (75 lbs) that I'm interested/concerned with how he's gonna take to being on a boat. It could be a big factor in how my plans turn out, cause I don't know what I'd do if I can't have him around.

I currently have three dogs all from different backgrounds and all different breeds and they are all very good with boating.
It was mentioned in this post before but most of the time dogs get their cue from how to adress a situation from thier human. If you just act like going on the boat is a normal thing and not worry about what the dog is going to do and things will probably turn out fine.
I'd also recommend giving the dog a place once on the boat so it knows what it is supposed to do. Should it lay on the cockpit floor, in the saloon, steer the boat, make coffee? You get me drift, dogs are most compfortable when they have a job, even if it is laying by your feet.
Lastly, Doggie lifevest, yes almost all dogs can swim (some better than others) but try finding a dog head sticking out of the waves... not easy.
Anyway, good luck with your dog I hope he turns out to be a good boating buddy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 04-09-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

If you handle a 20-25 lb dog, cocker spaniels are absolutely wonderful on boats. My boyhood spaniel loved being on our boats and was surefooted, alert to his surroundings, and calm on the water. However, he had a tendency to try to retrieve diving birds.
Old 04-13-2012

DrMaximusKZN is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know what is the norm if you have a boat dog and you are travelling island to island in the Caribbean. Are the authoriies sticky about it or do they ignore it?