Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010

mikeybgoode is on a distinguished road
thats why god created u-haul. just got back from a beautiful day sail here in socal, sorry.. un no im not .. ehhem yes sorry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
All kiding a side - there's pleanty - buy a dry suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Hi all,
I'm new here, and to sailing in general. Been boating most my life otherwise.
I'm eagerly awaiting spring to launch my first sailboat, a Precision-15, and learn how to sail, as many have done before me. Unfortunately we're getting more snow, with about two feet piled up outside, with temps barely tickling the freezing, or rather I should say, melting point.

So, in my despair for warmer weather, I've resigned myself to a couple more months of it being just 'too darn cold' to sail. What better to do than sit back, and read accounts of Shackelton's Antartic expedition, including his 800 mile trans-Antartic ocean voyage in not much more than my dinghy, to save his life and that of his crew.

Yeah, its too darn cold to sail. Where's my Snuggie?
You will extend you sailing season for years to come, and add safety when sailing in cold water in the spring.

I had a beach cat years ago; when other beach cat sailors told me they wanted more wind, I told them to buy a dry suit. t blows harder in the winter. Sailing can actually be pleasant down to about 32F; below that, if there is any spray, it gets a bit grim on the face. Ski goggles help a lot, as do good Gore-tex ski gloves.

I posted a piece about winter sailing:
Sail Delmarva: Search results for winter sailing bubbler
deow likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
As a matter of fact, I was out sailing this weekend. I broke my rule about not heading out unless it was above 40F. It was great out there. Of course you need to dress for it, but at least here we had the Bay largely to ourselves and it was gorgeous. Mostly 10-15 knot breeses although we saw some serious gusts into the mid-20 knot range (not so bad running but a bit of pain upwind given that the denser air really gives this stuff some serious wallop power)

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 03-01-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
You will extend you sailing season for years to come, and add safety when sailing in cold water in the spring.

I had a beach cat years ago; when other beach cat sailors told me they wanted more wind, I told them to buy a dry suit. t blows harder in the winter. Sailing can actually be pleasant down to about 32F; below that, if there is any spray, it gets a bit grim on the face. Ski goggles help a lot, as do good Gore-tex ski gloves.

I posted a piece about winter sailing:
Sail Delmarva: Search results for winter sailing bubbler
Winter sailing = Hard core
Old 03-01-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Adam-

Yeah, but you have the advantage of having the water to yourself. I snuck out on a 50F degree day, and only saw a few other boats. It was clear, bright and sunny, and the winds were light and variable. It made a great learning environment without having to dodge everyone else. The days are short though, and the sunset can catch you unawares if you aren't paying close attention. It goes from bright to black in a hurry.

PDQ's blog is full of great advice. Had I read it before-hand, I probably would have harnessed up. The part about winter sailing clothing was also enlightening.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-01-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Anything above 40 is (usually) pretty pleasant. Mid 30's and rain/sleet or just cloudy/high humidity gets pretty old after a couple of weeks.
Learn to love your heater. We wear Gore-Tex foulies and a few layers of wool underneath- works fine and stays warm when damp.

Here, it looks like the ice is breaking up so we should be heading up to our "summer" slip around the 3rd week of March.
Old 03-01-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Late in the season; November and December are preferable to me.
The water temps at that time of year are often higher than the air temp.
In the early Spring, the water is still so unbearably cold that the cold air blowing over the cold water goes right to your bones.
I have no problem sailing in cold fall conditions, but for some reason, the cold spring conditions get to me.
From last December on a friend's boat.

Of course sailing in these conditions bring on a whole new set of safety issues and concerns. First concern is not to fall in the water ever. Second concern is how not to fall in the water on an icy deck.
luck66 likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hey Tim—

Is that Sway’s little dinghy??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Sway who?
LOL, yes it was.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-01-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Best part of saiing in wicked cold wx?

NO JET SKIS!

You won't hear a one of them from December to April.
smurphny likes this.