Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I just did this for our C27. Had no old cushions so had to use butcher paper for templates, etc. They turned out great but you'll be amazed at the price of good foam (and you want really good foam).

I'll pay to have them made next time. I'd found a couple of places online that could have done it for 400 to 500 more than what I spent. It would have been worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road
I've said it before - What a great forum by great people - THANKS a bunch!
Old 03-01-2010

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
I'm not tired them yet but plan on doing so in the near future. Price seems reasonable and you can order the foam cut to fit.

Foam
Old 03-18-2010

boomertug is on a distinguished road
Sarafinadh...your input on sewing boat cushions was so helpful. We are finishing the interior of our steel tugboat (sorry, not sailors..) and I will be making the cushions out of Ultraleather for the aft cabin. I'm very interested in the mattress you ordered from Overstock.com - I've looked and the only one I'm finding that sounds similar to the one you describe is a Serta Rejuvenator 4" Memory Foam Mattress topper - has 2.5" of foam and 1.5" of memory foam - am wondering if this is the one you recommend - will it be dense enough to not sink into when sitting. I'll continue to look, but, if you get the chance to reply with any more info, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I'm looking for advice for fabric for the underside of the cushion. I'd assumed I'd use Ultraleather, but am reading that some use Sunbrella-type fabric instead. Thanks again for the good advice. Boomertug

Last edited by boomertug; 03-18-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2010

genieskip is on a distinguished road
Last winter I made a full set of cushions for my boat, this past (almost over) winter I made a set for my son's boat. I strongly recommend getting the Sailrite CD on making cushions. I knew nothing about the subject before starting last year yet with the help of those CD's I was able to get some damn near professional results. It isn't really that hard and if you don't have someone you can watch do it, following the work on the CD is almost as good.
Old 03-18-2010

boomertug is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much, genieskip...will look for the CD now.
Old 03-18-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. Great information. I have a new sewing machine, will get that CD and make up some cushions one of these days. I want to do my own Bimini as well.
Old 03-18-2010

inshallamiami is on a distinguished road
The first, and last, time I sewed anything was a snow white costume for my daughter, 20 years ago. That worked out nice, (she still talks about the puff sleeves) but unfortunately my sewing skills have not translated to the marine environment.

I bought several books, had a good machine, good materials, I pored over the sailrite site, but when it came to the actual sewing, i dunno. The first cushion was kinda crummy but my skills eventually did improve a little. I found it tedious and frustrating. I did save money but these cushions really need an afgan thrown over them. I did curtains too, which combined with the cushions give my main cabin kind of an "off kilter" look. My husband thinks they are great but he's just a really nice guy. I should have had someone who knows how to sew make them.

sometimes a woman's just gotta know her limitations.

Last edited by inshallamiami; 03-18-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: i write like i sew
Old 03-18-2010

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomertug View Post
- I've looked and the only one I'm finding that sounds similar to the one you describe is a Serta Rejuvenator 4" Memory Foam Mattress topper - has 2.5" of foam and 1.5" of memory foam
That's the one! We are very happy with it for the berth for sleeping and it's an excellent choice for cushions.

As far as the bottons go I would do them in the same fabric both sides. One side gets soiled you can turn it to the other until you can get it ckeaned, or, god fa-bid, someone sits with something sharp and slices it you can turn the patched side down.

If we were talking outdoor cushions sunbrella on the bottom would make sense, the sunbrella would allow some ventilation, but in that case you really should use a mesh for the bottoms if you are really concerned. Again for outdoor cushions I like both sides the same so it can be used either face up.

Good luck!

Sara

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 03-18-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
For the bottom of our cushions, we used a mesh material to let the whole cushion breathe. We also remove ALL the cushions when we lay the boat up in the fall. That one act has extended the life of our cushions dramatically!

Off topic, but I converted a conference room at my company into a sail loft and am installing a new luff tape on a nearly new 140% bi-radial genoa. Viva la Sailrite!