Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road
Sewng New Interior Cushions - Help

Just got the keys to our 'new' '82 H30 and the first cosmetic upgrade is to build/sew new cushions for the interior.

I think we want to do it ourselves rather than have a company produce them. I have a friend who sews and I have some reference magazine articles......

Does anyone have first-hand experience with this project - any tips to pass on...does....don'ts....etc

How about product resources / links for fabric, foam, tools, kits, etc

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Make the foam a tiny bit larger than the covers are supposed to be... this will make sure the covers fit snugly and look good, instead of wrinkly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-28-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We are doing this project right now. My suggestion is to get a sailrite catalogue and they are offering a free CD this month on tips.

My wife has done projects on the boat like a new bimini, dodger and windows as well as curtains and sail repairs. My suggestion is that you get new "reflex foam" for the cushions. as it drains moisture easily. We originally were going to get fabric in one of the discount stores, but were instead use a sunbrella furniture fabric...yachtsman series which is soft as well as resists mildew and moisture. Originally we were going to do a mix of poly and cotton, but due to the ever present moisture a boat has switched over to 100% acrylic. Get good zippers also. Feel free to PM me as we are just getting started with our project.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-28-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by malyea View Post
Just got the keys to our 'new' '82 H30 and the first cosmetic upgrade is to build/sew new cushions for the interior.

I think we want to do it ourselves rather than have a company produce them. I have a friend who sews and I have some reference magazine articles......

Does anyone have first-hand experience with this project - any tips to pass on...does....don'ts....etc

How about product resources / links for fabric, foam, tools, kits, etc

Thanks
Yes! I just did this on my new to me Hunter 27. I bought pretty much everything from Sailrite, Details are in my blog,a link to which is in my signature.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 02-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that EmKay did a nice job IMHO... so his tips would be well worth listening too...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-28-2010

SPC is on a distinguished road
I have been boat shopping for too long and I can recommend that you consider the Grand Banks cushions. I do not know what they use, but their cushions and fabrics are much better than the cushions that I have seen on any of more that a dozen sailboats.

For example, yesterday, I saw and set on original 25-year old Grand Banks cushions on an exposed fly bridge that looked and FELT great. Try sitting for even 5 minutes on any other cushion.
Old 02-28-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
What a timely topic! We dove right in while down at the yard today getting the title and emptied out our new-to-us-T27 of eight or so years of stuff that's been sitting.

"Good" stuff went in the car to be cleaned or sorted out later, and trash went in the (surprise!) trash. One set of things I hauled off to the dumpster were the two cabin seat cushions and their equally smelly, stained, icky covers. So we will be wanting to do is replace them, as do-it-yourself-y as possible.

Thanks for the topic and tips!

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.
Old 02-28-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
If you are going to redo the cushions, don't throw out the old ones, use them as patterns. It will save a you a lot of time.
Old 02-28-2010

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
I feel that cabin cushions, which will not be exposed to conditions like a cockpit cushion are not as demanding as far as materials go. For cabin cushions I suggest you look at overstock.com and see the foam mattresses. I got a king 4" for 100.00 including shipping. 3 " firm foam, 1" memory. That is ALOT of foam for a 100 bucks. Makes very comfy cushions and berths. Use an electric carving knife to cut. Fabric for an indoor application need not be limited to sunbrella or other outdoor materials. Ultra leather and ultra suede (my favorite) are excellent choices. Any rugged comfortable fabric, NOT cotton or silk or rayon or linen, would be suitable. Poly comes in many very attractive upholstery fabrics with very nice hands. DO use a heavy fabric, not a light weight one. It is much more difficult to get professional looking results with a light weight fabric cover.

You might consider making a practice cover from an old sheet and then use that as pattern. Use heavy weight thread, not what you find for dress making. Again for interior cushions you do not need gortex thread.

Sailrite is a good resource for info.

a standard sewing machine in good repair will make cushions with no difficulty.

Welting is an attractive option, I suggest you purchase it ready made as making welt is challenging and you will need lots of it.

Study cushions that have zippers set into the center of the cushion side not the seam. This is what you want to do so that the cushion can be sat on comfortably on either side.

Professional upholsters use poly batting to wrap cushions to give a softer edge and feel and stuff out the corners with additional wadds of batting to make them look nice and tight.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 02-28-2010
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
When you go to put the foam inside the new covers, wrap the foam with saran wrap to let the foam slide against the cover. After you get the foam where you want it, carefully tear the wrap and remove. It will make putting your foam in a not too bad job. We have done 3 boat interiors and did not know this trick for the first one. It reduces the frustration and work considerably!
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003