SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sizing reefing lines question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/62438-sizing-reefing-lines-question.html)

josrulz 02-28-2010 07:40 PM

Sizing reefing lines question

Hi all,
How does one spec out sizing for reefing lines? Our boat has typical slab reefing, but when we bought her, we couldn't find the reefing lines. So I have no idea what was there. Instead we used what we could find, but the line was old and needs to be replaced, and is probably oversized.

We cruise, and I'm planning to go with something like NE Sta-set or Samson XLS, which appear to have similar specs. But what about diameter?

Our Sabre 34 mainsail roughly 230 square feet, I believe. I've seen lots of info on sizing halyards and sheets and vangs, but not much on everything else.

And, while we're at it, any recommendations for line material/size for reef ties (through the sail)?
Thanks!
-J

sailingdog 02-28-2010 07:49 PM

Jos—

I'd go with 5/16" or 3/8" diameter for the reefing lines, and 1/4" or 5/16" for the nettles (reef ties).

josrulz 02-28-2010 07:56 PM

Thanks SD. I'm buying some 1/4" double-braid polyester (probably XLS) to build lazy jacks as well, so I'll just get some extra for the reef points.

XLS or Sta-set seem like a good choice for a cruiser for the reef lines?

sailingdog 02-28-2010 08:10 PM

Either should be fine. :) BTW, my friend's grandfather gave me advice on lines for slab reefing a long time ago... he said the reefing lines should be one size smaller or the same size than the smallest line you'd use for a halyard ... given that the lines are all holding the same sail in position, I think it makes sense to size them that way.

josrulz 02-28-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 575289)
Either should be fine. :) BTW, my friend's grandfather gave me advice on lines for slab reefing a long time ago... he said the reefing lines should be one size smaller or the same size than the smallest line you'd use for a halyard ... given that the lines are all holding the same sail in position, I think it makes sense to size them that way.

Yeah, I'm not certain of my halyard size, but I believe they're 7/16", so 3/8" for reefing lines would probably make sense. I mean, my outhaul is like 5/16" (if I remember correctly), so 3/8 should be OK for reefing. I know the cleats on the side of the boom weren't made for 7/16"--they're really not big enough. Thanks again, SD...
-J

BarryL 03-01-2010 10:27 AM

Points to Consider

Hey,

A few things to consider:
  • Are you going to leave the reefing lines run all the time, or just rig them them you expect to reef? Most people (me included) leave the reef lines run all the time. So you want a small line to reduce the weight and size of the line when you are not reefed.
  • Do you have self tailing winches and line clutches? If so, make sure that the size of the reef line you select can work with the tailer and the clutch.
Personally I have 3/8" Stayset for my reef lines.

Barry

sailingfool 03-01-2010 12:08 PM

You should be able to use your sail ties for nettles, they arn't otherwise in use when you need to put in a reef.