Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Sizing reefing lines question

Hi all,
How does one spec out sizing for reefing lines? Our boat has typical slab reefing, but when we bought her, we couldn't find the reefing lines. So I have no idea what was there. Instead we used what we could find, but the line was old and needs to be replaced, and is probably oversized.

We cruise, and I'm planning to go with something like NE Sta-set or Samson XLS, which appear to have similar specs. But what about diameter?

Our Sabre 34 mainsail roughly 230 square feet, I believe. I've seen lots of info on sizing halyards and sheets and vangs, but not much on everything else.

And, while we're at it, any recommendations for line material/size for reef ties (through the sail)?
Thanks!
-J
Old 02-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jos—

I'd go with 5/16" or 3/8" diameter for the reefing lines, and 1/4" or 5/16" for the nettles (reef ties).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2010
Unpaid Intern

Thanks SD. I'm buying some 1/4" double-braid polyester (probably XLS) to build lazy jacks as well, so I'll just get some extra for the reef points.

XLS or Sta-set seem like a good choice for a cruiser for the reef lines?
Old 02-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Either should be fine. BTW, my friend's grandfather gave me advice on lines for slab reefing a long time ago... he said the reefing lines should be one size smaller or the same size than the smallest line you'd use for a halyard ... given that the lines are all holding the same sail in position, I think it makes sense to size them that way.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-28-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Either should be fine. BTW, my friend's grandfather gave me advice on lines for slab reefing a long time ago... he said the reefing lines should be one size smaller or the same size than the smallest line you'd use for a halyard ... given that the lines are all holding the same sail in position, I think it makes sense to size them that way.
Yeah, I'm not certain of my halyard size, but I believe they're 7/16", so 3/8" for reefing lines would probably make sense. I mean, my outhaul is like 5/16" (if I remember correctly), so 3/8 should be OK for reefing. I know the cleats on the side of the boom weren't made for 7/16"--they're really not big enough. Thanks again, SD...
-J
Old 03-01-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Points to Consider

Hey,

A few things to consider:
  • Are you going to leave the reefing lines run all the time, or just rig them them you expect to reef? Most people (me included) leave the reef lines run all the time. So you want a small line to reduce the weight and size of the line when you are not reefed.
  • Do you have self tailing winches and line clutches? If so, make sure that the size of the reef line you select can work with the tailer and the clutch.
Personally I have 3/8" Stayset for my reef lines.

Barry

Old 03-01-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
You should be able to use your sail ties for nettles, they arn't otherwise in use when you need to put in a reef.