Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010

dwc2056 is on a distinguished road
Caribbean Sailing Schools

Has anyone had any experience or can recommend a good live aboard sailing school in the Carabbean....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
Offshore-Sailing

Offshore-Sailing (Steve Colgate) offers live aboard classes in Tortola. They work in conjunction with the Moorings (using Moorings boats). If you're planning on chartering, the Moorings seems to take Offshore-Sailing classes pretty seriously. They are a USSailing affiliate.

My wife and I took their Liveaboard Cruising class, and challenged for basic keelboat. (We already had the ASA basic keelboat certificate). The class was enjoyable, and very hands-on.

They offer a fast-track program, where you take a basic keelboat class and the cruising class back to back. Personally, I think that would be information overload.
Old 03-01-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
The Caribbean is a big place, but if the BVI is your neck of the woods then the Rob Swain sailing school does a commendable job and it is hard to beat the BVI when it comes to ease of sailing and nice destinations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2010

dwc2056 is on a distinguished road
I am thinking of using Blue Water Sailing out of St Thomas.
Old 03-04-2010

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The Caribbean is a big place, but if the BVI is your neck of the woods then the Rob Swain sailing school does a commendable job and it is hard to beat the BVI when it comes to ease of sailing and nice destinations.
Agree! Located in Nanny Cay they have a very talented group of Instructors of which I know several and many of their students. One of the Best is known as "Toddy", a Brit with extensive experience and knows the area and will keep you on your toes!
Old 03-04-2010

I did a 'ride-along' on my old boat while Toddy was giving the new owner instruction and even in that short ride I learned a lot. I agree that Toddy is an excellent instructor and while he teaches the ASA system at the Rob Swain school he is a RYA Offshore Yachtmaster instructor.

Old 03-18-2010

WhatTheFoley is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking about taking a passage making course with the Swain school. They offer a passage from Newport to BVI via Bermuda. They have broken it into two legs. I wish I had enough time to sign on for the whole trip, but I can't. I'm wondering which would be the better leg? What are the differences between going from Newport to Bermuda vs. Bermuda to the BVI. Being a west coaster, I don't really have a good feel for the prevailing conditions, and the types of sailing that might be encountered. The passage begins Nov 1st, and is about 6 days per leg. Any Thoughts?

Last edited by WhatTheFoley; 03-18-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2010

I would think, particularly in November, that the Bermuda-Caribbean leg will be a lot warmer and more comfortable.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.