Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
We face another Monster much more evil today...with out the luxury of handling it the same way...yet....sometimes there is such a thing as the good old days...Lets hope its not to late when it happens.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Why can't you handle it the same way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 03-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, I would recommend using conventional or FAE-based explosives instead of nuclear ones. Other than that minor change, I don't see a problem with handling it the same way. The rest of the world might think that's a bit drastic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Why can't you handle it the same way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Yep, the force and overpressure of a nuke without the radiation... Neat weapon.

Old 03-16-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Just to be clear..I wasn't talking Pirates either....but enough said on that

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 02-26-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I don't doubt that many people here, on sailnet, of lighter moral constitution, would resort to the same behavior. If you are so ready to believe that one side or the other is "good" and that their actions are justified, you are just the type of person that could be convinced to become a pirate. Through self serving reasons, you can convince anyone that something is good.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Think of what would happen in the US if the economy collapsed and a lot of starving fishermen saw foreign fishing ships coming through fishing on and depleting what had always been their fishing waters. I think a lot of Americans would do the same thing. When someone is really hungry it doesn't take much or any logic to justify doing something like this. What's also very worrying is that I too often when Americans say "we should just nuke them" referring to some country in the Middle East. But when somebody in the Middle East says that America should be nuked that's practically enough to get their entire country labeled as a terrorist nation. US foreign policy over past hundred years has been far from spotless.

Now I'm not saying it's wrong to defend yourself from pirates or anything. But maybe the western navies shouldn't patrol the waters to provide cover for the foreign fishing ships in the area? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
When the Somali government collapsed in 1991, so too did Somalia’s ability to police its waters and regulate foreign vessels. For corporate fishing fleets from Asia and Europe, that meant rich shark and tuna fisheries suddenly wide open for exploitation. And boy did they exploit. Tales abound of foreign vessels stripping the fish from once-rich waters, and chasing away small-time Somali fishermen.

The problem got so bad that many displaced Somali fishermen picked up AK-47s and began boarding foreign vessels to demand “fees.” Thus Somali piracy was born. No wonder pirates are so popular — and untouchable to police — in many Somali fishing towns.

Today these small-time pirates have been bought out by large pirate bands that amount to seaborne organized crime. But that doesn’t mean that the illegal fishing has stopped. There are still legit fishermen in Somalia, and they’re still being squeezed by the foreigners. “Fishermen at Eyl district in Nugal region in the semi-autonomous state of Puntland are seriously complaining about foreign vessels,” our correspondent Mohamed Omar Hussein writes.

http://www.warisboring.com/2010/02/2...somali-waters/
So there are some "good" pirates who are doing exactly the same thing that most other nations would do if you came in their waters without permission and started fishing. Then there are the ones who have taken it to the next level.

So could the western navies keep the foreign fishing ships out of Somali waters and then all the good pirates should stop being pirates and all that would be left are the bad ones which can be dealt with with force.
Old 02-26-2011

otisgudlyfe is on a distinguished road
Tager, it would be nice if the world were as Mr. Disney portrayed it, with Bambi and Thumper and the woodland creatures living in peace and harmony....but that just ain't true. Perhaps you should get out your Ouija board and ask Mr. Churchill why you sleep soundly in your bed.
Old 03-03-2011

rickinnocal is on a distinguished road
I will say that what truly irritates me about the whole situation is the massive amount of world press being given to a grand total of NINE yachties who have been taken with four killed, compared to the ear shattering silence the same press has been emitting with regard to the pirates current SEVEN HUNDRED merchant seamen being held hostage, or the over 1,100 who were imprisoned for at least some period during 2010.

The number of killed is unknown, since most merchant seamen are spirited inland to be held in the pirates tribal villages, but the Fillipino government (Over 400 of the current hostages are Filipino) believes that at least 100 of the Filipinos listed as "hostages" are probably dead after their employers simply declined to pay to ransom them. (In some cases, after paying to ransom their ships)

Richard

Last edited by rickinnocal; 03-03-2011 at 01:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Score one for the good guys!

There, I hope that's clearer to anyone who hasn't thought enough about what is needed for good people to live. Treating known criminals like good people is why good people get treated like criminals. <-- Yes, you actually have to think for awhile to get there. Start with how prison furloughs make everyone have to lock their doors at night. Proceed from their. (If you aren't willing to think about it, move over and let the grown-ups keep you and your family alive, safe and free.)

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 03-03-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2011
AstroCodger

MaineFloat is on a distinguished road
Blackjenner - Thank You.

There are indeed "good guys"& killing is very necessary at times. It's not fun to live with the aftereffect of it; however, necessary..