Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Big Boats - Falmouth/English Harbour (pics)

It's always an eye opener to stroll the docks in Falmouth and English harbours to see how the other half (quarter? tenth?) lives. The neat thing is that these docks are open to the public, not behind fences and locked gates like so many in North America. It's a rare opportunity to get a glimpse of this world.

This year the 2nd running of the RORC Caribbean 600 was also on, adding some pretty cool race boats to the mix. Unfortunately the strangely light/calm conditions trapped racers this year, in a race that had no time limit in the race instructions. (who would ever thing such a thing was needed here??) But though conditions weren't as "promised by the posters" when we attended the after party the mood was high (though one boat was still doggedly trying to complete the course)

There are some beauties here, but I have to say that I find Mirabella V to be a bit of a monstrous white elephant. Other than the technological achievement it represents, I don't see the point.

Enjoy!

I thought this a clever solution to the stern gangway requirement:

Some of the Racers:

Winner Beau Geste

Swan 90 DSK

Open 40s

Bella Pita

And now for the other end of the spectrum... also on-going (still) is the Atlantic rowing race.. this boat arrived while we were there - a single rower, finishing 400 nm ahead of all other competitors including the doubles!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-03-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
It is always scary to see how many of these boats exist. I believe that the low freeboard blue boat in your first picture is Rebeca which is a very impressive boat. We see her up in Maine from time to time and she is really quite elegant for the type of boat that she is. The owner didn't want to have an exposed anchoring setup so there is a hydraulic door beneath the waterline which opens to allow her to anchor. She is one boat where an anchor ball really is necessary.

Nice photos.
Old 03-03-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
do I see correctly..."40 Degrees" is a tiller steer boat?
Old 03-03-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Nice pics Fast. For some reason I find myself thinking about how much time it would take me to wash and then wax one of those. Probably explains why I don't have one, and never will .

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-03-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I believe that both Open 40s were tiller steered, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Nice pics Fast. For some reason I find myself thinking about how much time it would take me to wash and then wax one of those. Probably explains why I don't have one, and never will .
That's it, John.... same for me - but a crew of a half dozen Kiwi or Aussie chicklets could do the job for us!

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."

Last edited by Faster; 03-03-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Nice Pictures! From the last time I was there, here is the Maltese Falcon docked in Falmouth, making her neighbour, Nero, look small and tawdry in comparison:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Drool. Slobber.

That hinged aft cockpit seat that became a curved passerelle on Bena is very clever. But I think I prefer the recessed passerelles on the other boats, that tucked away like an MOB pole.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-04-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
40 degrees is a Class40 boat, an inexpensive and very popular European ocean racing class, for solo or duo crews. I believe all 40class boats have tillers. They are more sensitive, more simple and give you a better feeling.

40 Degrees - Class 40 Yacht

One of the races is a duo world circumnavigation: "Global Ocean Race". Next one: 2011

The first one had only six competitors, this one has already 13 entries. At 555 days from starting, it is a very good indicator for a great race. Among the inscriptions, one American, two South-Africans and two New Zealand, among Italians, French and German teams.

Global Ocean Race 2011-12 : Home

Many boats from the Open60 class (a lot bigger) also use tillers.

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-04-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Faster, take a look at this picture:

Last summer I have been at the same port at one of the boats that you have posted, a Farr designed boat (Portoferraio, on Elba Island).

The owner is a sailor . It is not one of those guys that keeps the boat in a Marina. I have seen it sailing several times on the Med. It is a very fast boat, for a cruising boat.
Old 03-04-2010
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Faster, take a look at this picture:

Last summer I have been at the same port at one of the boats that you have posted, a Farr designed boat (Portoferraio, on Elba Island).

The owner is a sailor . It is not one of those guys that keeps the boat in a Marina. I have seen it sailing several times on the Med. It is a very fast boat, for a cruising boat.
Yes, she is "Sojourner" and was still in Antigua because she broke her mizzen boom in the Superyacht regatta a few weeks previous. We shared a cab with two Brits sent down to repair the boom, it was reinstalled the day we left.

A very interesting boat, and by all accounts very swift too.

Here's a shot of her cockpit, with the mizzen and missing boom to the right.

Last edited by Faster; 03-04-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.