Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010

peptobysmol is on a distinguished road
Nice Guy

I wanted to preface the post by saying that this was a VERY nice chap. I saw he and is wife on the fingers of the dock gingerly walking. I was putting new cleats on my boat and as they were walking by i gave them a "hello" as I had never seen them before. Cordially they responded and I asked them name, etc. They asked about my boat. They said they were from another city (1.5 hrs away) and had just bought their boat. They were here to take it for their first stroll. I told them that it was a little breezy for me to solo as it was blowing 18 with gusts to 30. (I have only been sailing myself for about 4 months) Robert (his name) then asked about the marina, cost, etc. Stated 500.00 per yr was fantastic with electric he agreed. Then went about asking me about the depth around the lake. After admiring my boat he asked me about my 6 hp motor and said he had a 2 hp on his Spirit 6.5. Then asked if it would be enough. Then asked if i would look at his boat with him. Then asked how he'd go about raising the sail. I had to show him that after the sail was up he'd have to disconnect the topping lift, which was connected to his backstay. Then asked what the mainsheet was (I did have the idea he knew what to do with it though). He then started talking about raising the jib, and jib lines. He said he did have one day sailing course and did one day of coastal cruising with flat seas.

I told him that if I were him, I'd come back when it was less windy. If something were to go wrong, it'd all go wrong in a big hurry. I told him to come back when the winds were about 5-10 knots for his first run.

I felt bad for him because I know the excitement of having a new boat and wanting to experience the thrill of plying the waves and the wind. But for heaven's sake, with water temps at 45 degrees... in unknown territory, I must admit I was a little scared for him.

Maybe he'd at least have a BFS for Smackdaddy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
You did good.
You must be a nice guy too.
Old 03-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're feeling very kind, you might point out that he and his wife should probably buy Dave Seidman's book, The Complete Sailor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If you're feeling very kind, you might point out that he and his wife should probably buy Dave Seidman's book, The Complete Sailor.
+1 An AWESOME book. Fantastic and non-intimidating for beginners but complete enough that I learned some things reading it after 7 years of sailing.

I always recommend this book (first) and chapman's to every new sailor.
MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It's required reading for newbies who want to crew for me...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptobysmol View Post
I felt bad for him because I know the excitement of having a new boat and wanting to experience the thrill of plying the waves and the wind. But for heaven's sake, with water temps at 45 degrees... in unknown territory, I must admit I was a little scared for him.

Maybe he'd at least have a BFS for Smackdaddy...
BFS only counts when you come home safe. To do that, you have to take it up one notch at a time...and not be a dolt.

That said, one of the things about newbie sailors that you have to remember is that when we start off we don't have the understanding of what "real" wind is (especially in relation to a new boat). We look at the trees and flags, they're moving around pretty good, we know that sailing requires wind, so we go out to the boat for our first sail...in 20 knots. It's really not that hard to be a dolt when you don't know. No excuse of course, it just is.

What this guy did right was talk to pepto - an experienced sailor in the area - before going out. And he followed pepto's good advice. So, in that sense, the dude was BFS smart: learn absolutely everything you can (within reason) before you go out so you're not a dolt.

The rule I used to follow (pretty much) as a complete newbie was this: "When you don't see any sailboats out on a really windy day, you might want to stay in."

Of course, for some salts, that's their favorite time to sail. That's what is so cool about this whole sailing thing.

Notch-by-notch.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-08-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The rule I used to follow (pretty much) as a complete newbie was this: "When you don't see any sailboats out on a really windy day, you might want to stay in."

Of course, for some salts, that's their favorite time to sail. That's what is so cool about this whole sailing thing.
Tswo years ago, I was gong to take my son down to New York harbor to see the 4th of July fireworks. A friend of mine was coming along also.

We met at the marina parking lot at the agreed time. It was blowing like stink. My friend says to me, are you sure you want to go. I say I had told my son we are going. We get to the marina gate and another boat club member stops us and says you are not going out there are you?

While we were talking, I see a boat leaving our marina and clearing the bulkheads. It was jrd22's father who single hands his 32 Contest. He is very close to 90 years old.

I said fellas, if he's going were going! The fireworks were great.

Never Forgotten

Old 03-08-2010
Telstar 28

I'd point out that JRD's father has probably been sailing longer than you have been alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Tswo years ago, I was gong to take my son down to New York harbor to see the 4th of July fireworks. A friend of mine was coming along also.

We met at the marina parking lot at the agreed time. It was blowing like stink. My friend says to me, are you sure you want to go. I say I had told my son we are going. We get to the marina gate and another boat club member stops us and says you are not going out there are you?

While we were talking, I see a boat leaving our marina and clearing the bulkheads. It was jrd22's father who single hands his 32 Contest. He is very close to 90 years old.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post

Nuff said.

I remember you showing me what I think was his boat when we sailed together - and telling me about him. I want to be that guy when I grow up.

Here's to fireworks!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.