SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Nice Guy

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  smackdaddy 
#1 ·
I wanted to preface the post by saying that this was a VERY nice chap. I saw he and is wife on the fingers of the dock gingerly walking. I was putting new cleats on my boat and as they were walking by i gave them a "hello" as I had never seen them before. Cordially they responded and I asked them name, etc. They asked about my boat. They said they were from another city (1.5 hrs away) and had just bought their boat. They were here to take it for their first stroll. I told them that it was a little breezy for me to solo as it was blowing 18 with gusts to 30. (I have only been sailing myself for about 4 months) Robert (his name) then asked about the marina, cost, etc. Stated 500.00 per yr was fantastic with electric :) he agreed. Then went about asking me about the depth around the lake. After admiring my boat :D he asked me about my 6 hp motor and said he had a 2 hp on his Spirit 6.5. Then asked if it would be enough. Then asked if i would look at his boat with him. Then asked how he'd go about raising the sail. I had to show him that after the sail was up he'd have to disconnect the topping lift, which was connected to his backstay. Then asked what the mainsheet was (I did have the idea he knew what to do with it though). He then started talking about raising the jib, and jib lines. He said he did have one day sailing course and did one day of coastal cruising with flat seas.

I told him that if I were him, I'd come back when it was less windy. If something were to go wrong, it'd all go wrong in a big hurry. I told him to come back when the winds were about 5-10 knots for his first run.

I felt bad for him because I know the excitement of having a new boat and wanting to experience the thrill of plying the waves and the wind. But for heaven's sake, with water temps at 45 degrees... in unknown territory, I must admit I was a little scared for him.

Maybe he'd at least have a BFS for Smackdaddy... :eek:

See less See more
#3 ·
If you're feeling very kind, you might point out that he and his wife should probably buy Dave Seidman's book, The Complete Sailor. :D

#4 ·
+1 An AWESOME book. Fantastic and non-intimidating for beginners but complete enough that I learned some things reading it after 7 years of sailing.

I always recommend this book (first) and chapman's to every new sailor.
MedSailor

#5 ·
It's required reading for newbies who want to crew for me...

#6 · (Edited)
I felt bad for him because I know the excitement of having a new boat and wanting to experience the thrill of plying the waves and the wind. But for heaven's sake, with water temps at 45 degrees... in unknown territory, I must admit I was a little scared for him.

Maybe he'd at least have a BFS for Smackdaddy... :eek:
BFS only counts when you come home safe. To do that, you have to take it up one notch at a time...and not be a dolt.

That said, one of the things about newbie sailors that you have to remember is that when we start off we don't have the understanding of what "real" wind is (especially in relation to a new boat). We look at the trees and flags, they're moving around pretty good, we know that sailing requires wind, so we go out to the boat for our first sail...in 20 knots. It's really not that hard to be a dolt when you don't know. No excuse of course, it just is.

What this guy did right was talk to pepto - an experienced sailor in the area - before going out. And he followed pepto's good advice. So, in that sense, the dude was BFS smart: learn absolutely everything you can (within reason) before you go out so you're not a dolt.

The rule I used to follow (pretty much) as a complete newbie was this: "When you don't see any sailboats out on a really windy day, you might want to stay in."

Of course, for some salts, that's their favorite time to sail. That's what is so cool about this whole sailing thing.

Notch-by-notch.

#7 ·
The rule I used to follow (pretty much) as a complete newbie was this: "When you don't see any sailboats out on a really windy day, you might want to stay in."

Of course, for some salts, that's their favorite time to sail. That's what is so cool about this whole sailing thing.
Tswo years ago, I was gong to take my son down to New York harbor to see the 4th of July fireworks. A friend of mine was coming along also.

We met at the marina parking lot at the agreed time. It was blowing like stink. My friend says to me, are you sure you want to go. I say I had told my son we are going. We get to the marina gate and another boat club member stops us and says you are not going out there are you?

While we were talking, I see a boat leaving our marina and clearing the bulkheads. It was jrd22's father who single hands his 32 Contest. He is very close to 90 years old.

I said fellas, if he's going were going!:) The fireworks were great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.