Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2003

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road
C&D canal

Anyone have any experience with the C&D with reguards to its current speeds. ie. how important is it to time your enterance with a following in coming tide? Expecting to arrive Delaware City heading south, 5-6pm at low tide (June03). Any other insight into the canal would also be helpful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
C&D canal

Ahoy, Yoda, Use the Force I am your Father...,sorry mind slips a bit when de rum tastes this good at 7o am. Any way Ibe and expert on the canal, me kin lives on the canal about a 1/4 mile south of the Chesapeake City bridge and spent years in the area. Canal is just a big ditch with fast water. Working with the current is certianly better but full throttle and no fooling around is my best advise. Commercial shipping can crowd you over so keep in mind the waves and don''t hug the rip wrap to close. I''ve held a course with all sorts of tankers, merchants and Military vessels without incident. Forget the sails, full speed and heavy drinking are the three bywords of advice for the canal. P.s.Hey if you see my sister give her a proper salute for me will ye?(Horn and Pirate Flag while passing) The Pirate of Pine Island
Old 02-16-2003
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
C&D canal

Yoda,

It sounds like you''ll be entering from the Delaware Bay side. If that''s true, I think it''s more important to time the tide in Delaware Bay than the canal. In a slow moving sailboat you can''t hit the tide right in both places. Delaware Bay is shallow, narrow and nasty if the wind and tides are against you, plus no real good places to hide, either. The canal can be tricky against the tide, but it is sheltered with high banks. I''ve experienced about a 3 knot contrary current in the canal which translates into slow going. But better than pounding into steep waves in your face in Delaware Bay.

In general you won''t have a problem in the canal. Sailing is not allowed in it anyway. Plus there are some places to hide in if you need to in the canal.

Get a copy of Reed''s Almanac and plan accordingly on going with the tide up Delaware Bay if at all possible, and take it as you find it on the canal. My 2 cents.
Old 02-16-2003

colehankins is on a distinguished road
C&D canal

Also, stay to the very side of the canal and get 1 kt more in speed than the middle.
With 1:1 ratio the depth is the distance from the hull to the shore.
Old 02-17-2003

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road
C&D canal

I would be heading from the Delaware bay into the canal. What seem odd is that Chesapeake City''s low tide occurs approx 1/2 hr before Delaware City''s low. Does this mean that entering the canal with a incoming tide behind you in the Delarawe Bay means nothing and you will still be fighting the current? Does the incoming tide in the canal run from Chesapeake City toward the Delaware Bay?? Not what I would have figured.
Old 02-20-2003

colehankins is on a distinguished road
C&D canal

It was always a big pain in the ass to catch the tide from Philly and try to make it in the canal to catch that tide. Everything seemed to work agaist me. by about 3.5 hours. Many sailors wait at the mouth of the canal for the tide. But in the summer the greenheads have other plans for you, and you buck the tide in the canal till the tap room or cabin johns
Old 03-05-2003

etm is on a distinguished road
C&D canal

Yodagwb, If you are heading toward the Chesapeake bay, you should hit the Delaware entrance of the canal at 1330 on June 3rd, to carry the current to the west. 1700+ will give you an unfavorable current. You can duck into Summit North marina about half way through the canal or anchor in Engineers cove (Chesapeake City) about 6nms further on. It''s an experience no matter what. Great trip at nite since it is very well lit. Clearance at RR bridge is 35feet down. They keep it in the up position except when train is scheduled a few times a day. Delaware City was the old entrance to the canal. The entrance is at "CD" buoy 39*33.820N, 075*33.194W off the main channel in the Delaware river across from the Salem flats.