Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Restore black anodization

The black anodization has faded on my twenty five year old aluminum cleats and line organizers. I would like to restore their appearance. I could pull them, clean up any bedding compund adhering, and boil then in black anodizing dye but that's just too messy and tedious. Don't ask me how I know.

Has anybody tried spray on restorer for windshield wiper arms? Any other suggestions that would have a smart appearance and be durable?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You're not going to get very good results without removing the hardware IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
something that you might be able to do with less mess is powder coat, it wont last as long but its easy to touch up. spray with a home powder coat kit and throw them in the oven
Old 03-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd also point out that if the organizers are 25 years old, and have never been rebedded or if it has been a while since they were re-bedded, rebedding them may be a very good idea.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-11-2010

Thanks for your help. I have rebedded the line organizers but it's about time to redo them. I'll explore the powder coat. I don't think my marriage could withstand more boiling dye.
Old 03-11-2010
Telstar 28

Not a big fan of powder coating aluminum. It generally requires heating aluminum, and some aluminum is heat treated and if exposed to enough heat, will lose the tempering that provides much of its strength.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-12-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
SD to a point your right about the heat issue on some things. now with the mass of a cleat i really dont think they use heat treating for strength, but they do make low temp powder coats.

powder coating does have its place, something like cleats it would do well. it will need to be redone every few years ( 5 ) which would be a great time to rebed them. but the DIY kits would make the redo cost 5 bucks when it needs to be done. now i would not use it on something like a winch or any real area where lines get dragged or run across.
Old 03-12-2010
Telstar 28

True, but not all places do low-temp powder coating, and not all parts are safe for the higher temp powder coating. Cleats are probably safe, as they're probably not heat tempered...but still avoiding bad habits is a good idea.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-12-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
My last boat I removed all the deck hardware and portlite trim and had it all powdercoated a weathered bronze, came out looking awsome especially when bedded back on the newly painted off-white deck with the freshly varnished teak toe rail & handholds and the new hunter green canvas

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 03-12-2010

A quick search indicates that commercial shops heat the objects to 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes. Would this heat impact strength? My mast was powder coated from the factory. Would it be stronger if uncoated?

Do it yourself powder coating appears to be cost prohibitive for my small needs. The commercial price appears to be about $5.00 to $8.00 per item. Given three cleats, the end caps on the boom, and two line organizers and a five year recoating cycle, twenty years would be required to amortize the cost of the required abrasive blaster, filtered spray cabinet. electro-static spray gun, compressor, and dedicated oven.