Today it was overcast and started to drizzle the moment we went to do something "outdoors", so we weren't able to do some of the stuff we wanted.
However, we managed to do a few things to the Ospray and one thing for the Tartan 27.
We fetched the Ospray from the storage place down the street and toted it home. With a wheel jack on the tongue of the trailer, it's pretty easy to roll it into our driveway. I trust the condo association will be OK with us having it there for a day or two.
I got the hose and started to rinse it off for the third or so time; trying to get what was left in the cockpit out through the drain hole. Paint chips, tiny bits of styrofoam from the old mast, pine needles, etc. This is when some very light rain started, so I probably looked dumb "washing" my boat in the rain and making this minor eco-disaster.
I also mixed up some TSP and water and gave the hull, deck and seats (can't reach the rest without being in the boat) a wash. It wasn't filthy but there was dirty. A bit scrubbing got some of the black spots off the no-skid and I bet some Ajax or something would have worked better. We are, I think, going to sand and paint that, so I didn't fuss too much.
The gelcoat on the hull has various dings and scratches, not atypical for a boat that's probably not been treated with kid gloves and has banged up against rocks, docks, and whatever. Nothing too bad, though some go through to the glass.
We took off the coamings. A couple screws had to be coerced out, but mostly things came off all right. Armed with a narrow scraper, a rubber mallet and a bored expression, I worked and whacked my way around the cockpick to separate the silicon caulk holding the wood against the fiberglass from the wood so we could gently pry what I think is mahogany off.
It doesn't look that bad without the wood.Better with it, of course, but not that bad without.
You see how worn the cockpit paint is. Floor board inserts go over much of that, but there looks to be two layers of paint that have come up.
Here's another shot towards the stern.
Here's the coaming pieces.
A couple ends of the transom piece were "torn" and soggy/wet. We're thinking of rounding the corners to get rid of the bad wood.