Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
Old boat fun means old boat work!

As I've mentioned in my intro, we bought a fixer upper Tartan 27. She's seen better days but then again, so have I. We're the same age.

(That little bit of a boat you can see on the right is a free USYacht. I think it's a 24 or 25 footer. So, if anyone wants a free boat, there you go!)

We had a lot of initial cleaning up/tossing out to do. This is looking down at the port settee area. That cushion went into the dumpster. Pee-yewwww! The box holding those lines disintegrated when touched. Despite labels to the contrary, the engine is NOT in that small white container!

That's ice in the bilge at the bottom of the picture. It had melted when we went back for our first clean up. We tried assaulting the dirty water with our wet vac. The wet vac did not like the process so we made a note to buy a hand pump and try again later.

I was able to persuade the husband to start removing teak doors and other things since the inside of the boat is, well, desperately in need of paint. You can see that here somewhat. Imagine paint chips all over and you get the idea.

(Anyone know what that slot might be for? Looks like something outta fit in there, but I don't see a matching slot on the other end, nor anything to slide in there. )

Pretty much anything inside the boat was thrown out or taken home to be cleaned up. I managed to ruin the sleeping bag in my attempt to wash it. Still the lines came out well. My couch is now covered in them, freshly laundered, untangled and sorted.

There were two sails (a main and a 140 genoa). They look to have been made circa 1984. They were mostly white with a couple rusty colored stains. The sailbags were also stained and rather smelly so I washed them.

Twice.

Finally the house stopped smelling bilge-y. It should; I was washing things for almost a week. I've grown a bit of a tolerance for touching greasy yuk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.

Last edited by daydreamer92; 03-24-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
Round 2

Armed with a relatively inexpensive hand pump, we went back for our next visit. I had two major tasks I wanted to accomplish:

1. Get the water out of the bilge
2. Tap into the glassed in chain plate knees to see if the plywood in there had rotted

I forgot to bring the camera to document progress (and to show off how much better things looked with just all the crap cleared out of there!).

A plan to siphon the bilge water out via garden hose and pump didn't work (hose didn't really fit) so we did it via bucket. Not sure how long that water had been there or where it had come from (no watermarks above the cabin sole that I ever saw though), but at the bottom were a lot of paint chips, various soggy paper debris, two rubber squares of uncertain function, and a bilge cover from a smaller section up in the V-berth. At last we could see the bottom of the bilge and the keel bolts and what not. The wet vac that had been so disgruntled last week cheerfully slurped the last of the water and paint ships out of the three compartment we drained. I immediately poured in some Simple Green and some fresh water and am letting it sit there to contemplate the error of its greasy ways.

I'd seen this on the deck:

Sure enough, when husband drilled into the fiberglassed in knees below, the plywood came out looking like compost. Water leaked out of the hole to boot. Not surprised, really but now we have three chainplates that need fixin'.

Which means we have to get stuff out of the way. Like the head:

The chain plate is hanging out behind the shelves there, in a perfectly rotten place to do any work on it. The opposite deal is in the hanging locker, equally lousy for working on.

I wouldn't mind taking the whole hanging locker out anyway. It's all very cramped in the head/locker/galley area and getting rid of some of it would open things up.

Something that looked like a good idea was to fabricate the new knees out of fiberglass board rather than plywood. Like so:

Or even to just glass in the knee and leave the chainplate on the outside, like this:

It's a bit intimidating of a procedure for us newbies, but so many people have done it, there's a lot of references out there to study.

Next Friday is the insurance survey. Should be interesting to see what he has to say. We'll work on getting those shelves out and dismantling the rest of the trim/doors and what not to get the interior as cleaned out as we can for working around in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.

Last edited by daydreamer92; 03-24-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: relinking photos
Old 03-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hey Kim—

That boat looks like she has good bones. Have you read "The Coast of Summer" by Anthony Bailey yet? If not, you really should. It's a good book and features a Tartan 27 sailing the waters from Long Island Sound through Buzzards Bay and the Islands.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2010

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
We changed the hanging locker into shelf storage on the MC. Much better use of space. The shelves have edges and the vented baskets help with dampness. A few hooks around the cabin work for hanging wet items. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Attached Thumbnails
Old boat fun means old boat work!-10-sized.jpg  

Last edited by marianclaire; 03-13-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Looking good guys!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 03-13-2010
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Worth it!

No doubt when finished you'll feel pride and you will know the boat inside and out. Keep us in the loop!
Old 03-13-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on a great start neighbor! Can't say I'm not kicking myself from time to time for not going for the Tartan you got, but that's okay.
Ah, the smell of bilgewater. Mine was the same way. Haven't done the full cleanup yet, as I was in a hurry to get the water out of the bilge before it all froze.
I'm sure we'll all be anxious to see how you're coming along on your boat!
Old 03-13-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Great job Daydreamer! I'm glad you're saving that boat. You've inspired me to really clean up my Coronado.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-13-2010

tip is on a distinguished road
Nice job, I LOVE seeing threads like this! Keep up the good work!

Bellingham, WA

Old 03-14-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Keep them comming,looking good.marc