Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Tuesday afternoon, the wind did pickup really quick around here.

Now for some shoreline etc clarification. Please note, there is still no info in king5's web page as to what went wrong etc.

The shoreline is running for the most part north to south. Wind is out of SW, so in relation to how the boat is getting towed, about 45* to the port bow. To the south in one of the wide shots is a point that protrudes to the west a bit and protects the area the boat was in. Along with many with waterfront property along there will keep boats in the summer, roughly april to Oct or there abouts.

Reality is, he could have reached at 90 to broad read at 120 to the wind and stayed off the shore with sails up. BUT, as I say/type this, it should be pointed out, was he by himself, engine dead, prop fouled.........a lot of things we can only guess at.

My 02 to add.

marty
Old 03-18-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Tuesday afternoon, the wind did pickup really quick around here.

Now for some shoreline etc clarification. Please note, there is still no info in king5's web page as to what went wrong etc.

The shoreline is running for the most part north to south. Wind is out of SW, so in relation to how the boat is getting towed, about 45* to the port bow. To the south in one of the wide shots is a point that protrudes to the west a bit and protects the area the boat was in. Along with many with waterfront property along there will keep boats in the summer, roughly april to Oct or there abouts.

Reality is, he could have reached at 90 to broad read at 120 to the wind and stayed off the shore with sails up. BUT, as I say/type this, it should be pointed out, was he by himself, engine dead, prop fouled.........a lot of things we can only guess at.

My 02 to add.

marty
When I was a pilot we used to pour over the 'adventures' people had and take the lessons from it. Everyone should serve as an example to others, sometimes even if it what not to do.

We don't have all the facts here. I'd love to find out what happened in this case as I'm looking at a class of boats similar to what he was sailing, I will be doing some single (+1) handing and will be in those waters.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2010

blackjenner,

It would be nice to know what happened to need a tow etc. Altho I will admit, if he would have had to ditch a boat here on PS on shore, that would be in my top 10% of places to do so. Overall sandy to pebble beach, not too many if at all bigger rocks to hole a rig. Reasonably steep shore to set on etc.

But, I can do the how the wind was blowing, from where, what the shoreline is like, what protects it etc, but.......... I see he appeared to look into the cabin area, was he talking to someone whom was sea sick or equal? was a prop fouled? was a halyard fouled so he could not get something up? Engine not running, ie out of fuel, water in the system with a clogged filter......list goes on. I do agree, it is nice to know what went on, and what one can learn from others misfortune, as long as one can keep the pundits out of the discussion so it is relevant to the issue and learning process.

My 02 being as you are looking for a boat here in PS. A boat like the one pictured being in tow is NOT needed IMHO to cruise around here. If anything, it is way to heavy to sail on a regular basis with our typical winds in the 5-15 knot range. A boat on the lighter disp end of things, deeper keel etc will work just find, and you will probably find yourself sailing more vs motoring with heavier full keel style of boat like this. UNLESS, you can figure out how to up the Sail Area to the 23 to 25-1 range of things. You need that much to make things move around here at times. "IF" you plan on going offshore some where, my comments are probably not the best then.

Marty
Old 03-18-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Cool Im 24.5

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 03-18-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Oh Joy is good with 800 sq ft and a 14.5K displacement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Yep about twice as good as me.....thats one lee shore clawing mother..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 03-19-2010

Charlie,

That is not a bad ratio, about 21.x-1 sail area-disp. I'm 540 with 6500 lbs or about 24.5-1 upwind. currently 800# for down wind, with a small spin, 900# when I get a full sized one. Both of our boats have decent ratio's for around here with boats that are easily driven.

Marty
Old 03-19-2010
Handsome devil

Marty your conversion had me scratching my head...So I had to re-look it up...I fogot about DV and multiplying by two thirds...

Im at 17.83 when I do that ...not as good..

You guys are just using 100% fore triangle for this right?...If I use my 135 I look better..

Last edited by Stillraining; 03-19-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2010
Handsome devil

There is a nice picture of the area in question on the cover of the March issue of Northwest Yachting...Alki point right behing the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Sailboat Towed off Alki-march-nwy-cover.jpg  

Last edited by Stillraining; 03-19-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2010

Still, I am using max sail area, if I use 100% no roach, then I am at about 17.x-1 IIRC also. BUT, My point, one could use 22or 25-1 for this area no matter how you get it will stand. Be it 100% SA or using all you can get. I was doing 4 something knots the other day in 7 knots of wind. Will see how it goes here in about 45 min or so too.

Marty