SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailboat Towed off Alki (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/62972-sailboat-towed-off-alki.html)

tager 03-17-2010 12:49 AM

Sailboat Towed off Alki

RAW: Disabled sailboat towed in choppy Puget Sound waters | KING 5 TV | Seattle News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Featured Videos

Do I recognize this boat? Wasn't there a thread about it? Rotten decks? For sale?

blt2ski 03-17-2010 09:29 AM

I saw the vid yesterday, but can not say I recognize the boat. No details as to why it was disabled, name of boat etc.

Marty

erps 03-17-2010 10:02 AM

Those cameras on the helicopters have quite a zoom. reminder to self. don't pick nose while a news helicopter flies over.

AlanBrown 03-17-2010 10:28 AM

Hope the guy has towing insurance!

smackdaddy 03-17-2010 11:42 AM

I could quite see, but does the CG/Tow boat have a protective grate on the back to protect the crew from a snapping tow line? That would suck to see a cleat screaming toward you at 90 knots.

smackdaddy 03-17-2010 11:44 AM

I guess the other question is what was disabled about the boat? It doesn't look like the sails are shredded.

JohnRPollard 03-17-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 581866)
I guess the other question is what was disabled about the boat? It doesn't look like the sails are shredded.

The video didn't show it, but it looked to me like he had gone aground near the surfline, they pulled him off, then just kept towing him back to port.

Just a guess...

blackjenner 03-17-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 581872)
The video didn't show it, but it looked to me like he had gone aground near the surfline, they pulled him off, then just kept towing him back to port.

Just a guess...

Indeed. That boat looked awfully close to shore. Bad lee shore situation?

smackdaddy 03-17-2010 12:27 PM

But to me the question is why was it so close to shore? Yes the wind and waves drove it there - but why was it not sailing?

My assumption is that the main halyard was fouled judging by the big black something at near the top of the mast.

Could you make way from a lee shore on a ketch with just the jib and mizzen?

svHyLyte 03-17-2010 04:36 PM

That boat owner ws very lucky he/she was in Puget Sound. Had he/she been in California, there is a good likelihood the Coast Guard would have stood off and watched the boat wash up on the beach and be destroyed as recently happed to the yacht JoJo in Monteray. In that event, the Cal Coasties arrived on the scene early enough that they could easily have gotten a line on the boat and pulled her clear of a soft grounding but they refused to do so saying "We save people, not boats". The frantic owner watched as they stood by while the tide ran out and the yacht was destroyed.

FWIW...