Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010

weephee is on a distinguished road
I have a 27 foot Columbia and I'm looking at leaving my forestay as is for hanking a jib sail if I want to and adding a Schaefer 550 System furler which uses a cable or removeable 2nd forestay. Is this an OK idea or am I wasting my money on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I would have no interest with a cutter with double rollers. I would take the inner down and rig a removeable with hank on yankee. Tacking an cutter sucks. Keep the inner for storm work.

My opinions.

Brian
Bingo!

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 03-18-2010
plays with string

mysticknotwork is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mysticknotwork
As a veteran sailor of over 20 years, my boat never had a roller furling. I never had a problem with 13 foot seas at night or even worrying about nights at sea... but that was my Sunfish.

Due to my wife kicking me into gear, I moved from a Sunfish to a 26' boat with a hank on jib and normal mainsail. The stuff makes sense to me. I am very new to sailing with a keel and to be honest most of the concepts of sailing with a boat heavier than a car is new.

So, my wife is looking to go from a 2 ton boat to an 8 ton boat. I can ably manage my 2 ton boat, but my wife is still getting used to piloting it under power.

The idea of learning a roller furling system on top of the rest of the learning curves I slide down makes me nervous. I understand hanking on a sail. I have READ that aftermarket furling sometimes doesn't work under load and some won't let you work with a partially furled jib. None of this is based in experience but reading.

I appreciate the input greatly, but I find it amazing that my wife would position me as such an expert in sailing... If you are in Fisher's Island sound and see a boat with a screaming woman and a guy struggling with a completely nonsensible sail-set, thats us.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-18-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
A good furler will indeed work to weather in a blow..having a line part in those conditions is the worrisome part...sort of like letting go of a tiger's tail...there's teeth in the other end..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 03-18-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Okay I'll say it: I enjoy changing headsails. And I will qualify: to a degree.

We have an array of hank-on jibs. We do mostly daysailing, and generally use the sail best suited to the strongest wind we expect to encounter. If the wind is a bit lighter, it's no big deal.

On multiday trips in summer, we often have light wind in the morning which builds in the afternoon and then dies out completely in the evening. On such days we will typically switch jibs twice. If we're going downwind, we will fly one of our symmetrical spinnakers, again, because we like doing it.

Our vee-berth has two spinnakers, three genoas, and a mainsail in it :P

That said, our next boat will have a roller furling jib. We are pretty excited about the cutter rig, partially because of the sail options, but also because I have this image in my head of motoring out past the breakwater without having thought about what headsail to use today, deciding based on conditions, and then, without getting out of the cockpit, pulling on a rope until I get what I want. I have a similar image for when the day is done and it's time to douse. Oh and, partially because of how sexy cutters (true cutters) are

Ideally our forestay would have a boom with a reefable staysail bent on.

Relatedly, there's lots of good ideas on this forum about tacking a double-headed sailboat, btw. You're always doing some work to tack a boat, unless you have a self-tending headsail; and many seaworthy cutters do indeed have self-tending staysails. In conditions where you'd have the jib up, "difficulty tacking" is not really an issue, and if you're in heavy conditions, a self-tending storm staysail sounds like a nice option.
Old 03-18-2010

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
I grew up sailing a boat with roller furling, and I now own one with hanked on headsails. My experience is similar to AdamLein's -- since I'm just day sailing or weekending, I usually know what I'm getting into for the day and try to size accordingly (please ignore BFS story from last year . . .) I expect that we will install roller furling in the future, but for now it's just not that big of a deal to use the hanked on headsails. Keep in mind, though, that if you buy a boat with hanks and then convert, there is a cost associated with that as you will have to modify your existing headsails.

Incidentally, while my experience is out of date (1980s) and I believe design improvements have been made, the only time I've been on the foredeck in 25 foot seas was when the roller furler line broke and I had to cut it out of the drum and thread a new one. Not a fun experience.
Old 03-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Really would be better off asking in your own thread, rather than hijacking this one. Just curious as to why you would do this, as a 550 system is a furling only wire luff furler unit... doesn't allow you to reef so adds complexity with little real benefit IMHO. Works fine if you're talking a light air sail like a screacher...but doesn't make much sense for a genny or jib

Quote:
Originally Posted by weephee View Post
I have a 27 foot Columbia and I'm looking at leaving my forestay as is for hanking a jib sail if I want to and adding a Schaefer 550 System furler which uses a cable or removeable 2nd forestay. Is this an OK idea or am I wasting my money on this.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
Incidentally, while my experience is out of date (1980s) and I believe design improvements have been made, the only time I've been on the foredeck in 25 foot seas was when the roller furler line broke and I had to cut it out of the drum and thread a new one. Not a fun experience.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...dude! I smell another BFS!!!

Out with it!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-18-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by weephee View Post
Interesting question weeph - and a good place for it. What kind of clearance would you have between the two stays?

Still - what's the clearance on yours?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-18-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I would have no interest with a cutter with double rollers. I would take the inner down and rig a removeable with hank on yankee. Tacking an cutter sucks. Keep the inner for storm work.

My opinions.

Brian
I am crushed CD! . Both furlers are the same size on Imagine. So in reality I have built in spares. Occassionally the genoa gets hung up when tacking, but only in light air. Because I sail flat it's no big deal to walk to the staysail, and give the sail a nudge. It's just another compromise when making a decision on what kind of boat you sail. Then again I have twin windlasses too .........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.