Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010

MysticKnotworkJill is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on roller furling

My husband and I are looking at buying a bigger sailboat and it seems every boat we look at comes with roller furling.

I like the idea of not having to climb forward to mess with the jib, but my husband thinks it is just one more thing to break.

I also posted this on the latitudes and attitudes bulletin board. Everyone seems very positive about roller furling but my husband is still unconvinced, so now I am asking the sailnet community. In your opinion is roller furling good or bad?
Old 03-18-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I would not own a boat without it. Even the racers use them. They are pretty bullet proof.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Your husband is right...but then again so are you. I'd point out that a properly maintained roller furler is your friend... of course, if you abuse it and don't maintain it, it will probably bite you on the backside.

Be aware that a roller furler isn't a panacea. The reefed roller furling sail tends to be baggier after about 30% has been rolled in and doesn't work as well as a properly cut smaller sail would.

A lot of it depends on the make/model of the furler. Older units tend to be not as robust or well-designed as newer ones. Some brands, notably CDI, are really not as robust or well-suited for boats over 26' LOA IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Roller furling is a wonderful advancement in sailing, I would never go without after having such a system, unless you are soley racing and want to select a differnent jib for each upwind leg.

Even though I routinely change jibs to have the prpoer size for current conditions, I still found roller furling a pleasure. Two trips out of three, setting and dousing the jib took only seconds, and the forepeak was less crowded at rest. Absolutely the way to go for a cruiser.

While you are at it, look for an underdeck autopilot and a bimini too.
Old 03-18-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I don't have a roller furling on my boat and I wish I did. I do like being able to change out sails (as I start to get into racing) but for cruising around I think the roller adds a lot of safety and controllability that you don't get with hank on sails. And I will always do WAY more cruising around than racing.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-18-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Headsail furlers are pretty much de riguer these days, and are well engineered. Convenience, safety and extra storage below (fewer sail bags) are big cruising advantages.

As a reefing system, though, I'm not convinced and prefer to have the proper sail in place for the conditions (still do-able with a furler but it does mean having to stow a sail or two below still)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-18-2010

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
I have a hank on head sail and at times it is a pain. I just recently set up a down haul so I can raise and lower it from the cockpit. I single hand much of the time so going forward is an adventure. A good Jack line set up helps. Someday I will upgrade to RF when the $$$$ is available. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 03-18-2010

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I consider it standard equipment now. Especially if you have to douse sail in a hurry or in bad conditions, it's sooooo much easier than sending someone forward. Mine at least is not suitable for reefing. The boat sails terribly with the sail partuiall rolled up. I know I'm jinxing myself here, but I've never had a failure and I have the same roller furler that came on the boat when I got it over 15 years ago.
Old 03-18-2010
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
I went a few years before I could afford the furler so I know what the before and after is like on my particular boat. I have a 37' and bought her 15 years ago. I put the furler on about 13 years ago and have not had one issue with it. It simply does what it is intended to do and is a major safety feature that I would not do without! The downside is the expense. I installed it myself (no big deal if you're halfway handy) but the conversion of the sails can add up if you are converting more than one. I converted all three of my headsails and each one was $400 + to convert. But now, I have a choice of sails to use for each season. When furled, there is a loss of efficency, but the pros outweigh the cons.
Old 03-18-2010
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
How does your husband feel about computers? How about power steering on your car? You don't really NEED it, and it's just one more thing that can break, right? Same thing with roller furling, you don't really need it, but pretty much proven itself over the years and is considered standard equipment now.

As to SD's point above about reefing with a furler...you can still change down to a smaller sail if you want, even with the roller. In fact sail changes with a foil along the luff are faster and easier than with hanks.