Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010

clueless01 is on a distinguished road
Question sailing time from Dominican Republic to the Mediterranean

Dear all,

first sorry if I haven't put this in the correct unit but my knowledge of the English when it comes to sailing is maybe too poor to find the correct location.

My question, how long would it take approximately to sail with a boat from the Dominican Republic to the Mediterranean, just so I have a rough idea. (sorry but no clue what size the boat has or any details)

Reason is, a friend of mine has just texted me that he will bring a boat to some destination, I guess in Spain, but nothing more.

I would just like to know when I have to start to worry about him...

Many thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
There are two routes to take from the Dominican Republic, either via Bermuda or closer to the Rhumb line. You need to give us 2 pieces of information in order to get a rough estimate:

1. Boat type (and whether the Captain is going to use the engine in low winds)
2. time of year (which will determine the route and the prevailing winds)

A 50' monohull could average 140nm per day with good weather and the distance between the Dominican Republic and Cadiz, Spain is (great circle) approximately 3300nm. So a quick trip would be just over 23 days. The distance via Bermuda is several hundred miles longer, but the only route for part of the year - but it has better winds and currents, yet is usually used for trips to northern Europe. The Rhumb line route goes through areas with variable and/or weak winds and usually one motors through, assuming sufficient fuel reserves and willingness to use the engine(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2010

Dear Zanshin,

many thanks for your fast reply!

Unfortunately, as mentioned, I don't have a clue about the size of the boat, I can just guess it is something the size of the one you mentioned, maybe slightly bigger.

I would say the captain will definitely use the motor as the boat is supposed to be in the Mediterranean as soon as possible.

The trip has started yesterday...

Thanks so far!! Really appreciated!
Old 03-19-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
At this time of year and heading to the Mediterranean the route is likely to be direct (unless your friend mentioned needing lots of heavy cold-weather gear) and the winds aren't that favorable for a speedy passage so using 140nm per day might be too optimistic.

So much depends on the speed of the boat. If they stop at the Azores then 3-4 weeks might be realistic before you can expect to hear from them, if they go straight through into the Mediterranean then 4 weeks plus is more likely.

Old 03-19-2010

Again, many thanks for that information. I'll better get another set of fingernails to chew off then
but at least I have an idea about when I might hear from him.

Many thanks for that!!
Old 05-04-2010

Unhappy

Dear all, dear Zanshin,

after a while again a thank you for your kind answer.
Just have to ask again, if it is still in the range of "normal" that I still haven't heard anything of my friend since mid of March?

As I would have guessed that he presumably should be somewhere in the Mediterranean by now and I should have heard something of him?

Or was there any bad weather or other stuff which might have slowed down his journey? Where could I get information in case something serious has happened? I am just worried about if he is ok.

Many thanks!
Clueless