Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Boat move from Bermuda to Branford, CT

I just got invited to help with a boat move (Farr 40) from Bermuda to CT. I can't do the race but I'm pretty sure I can do the transport after the race at the end of June.

Anything I should know? I know the guys, I raced all last year with them on the same boat. I suspect all the normal stuff like, bring FW gear, never know what the weather will be like.

Bring motion sickness medication. Anything else?
Is their anything special about the route I can expect them to take other than to head toward Montauk Point/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
David,

Presumably if the boat is being raced in a sanctioned event, it will have all expected safety gear for that trip (liferaft, epirb, first aid, etc). But it doesn't hurt to ask.

We have some good threads around here where folks have listed their personal "must haves" for off-shore sailing. Might be worth a search.

I would probably bring my own combination pfd/harness/tether. A strobe, too.

Another thing that always comes to my mind, is a waterproof headlamp with red filter. Handy for working on deck at night, and during the off-watch too.

P.s. That sounds like an awesome trip on a fast ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
David,

Presumably if the boat is being raced in a sanctioned event, it will have all expected safety gear for that trip (liferaft, epirb, first aid, etc). But it doesn't hurt to ask.
I would probably bring my own combination pfd/harness/tether. A strobe, too.

Another thing that always comes to my mind, is a waterproof headlamp with red filter. Handy for working on deck at night, and during the off-watch too.

P.s. That sounds like an awesome trip on a fast ride!
I have the lamp and would be happy to get a combination pfd/harness but no one makes one. I've been looking for months. I don't want an inflatable I just want a normal Type 3 PFD with in integrated harness, but they don't seem to be made. If anyone knows of one let me know please. I even started a thread a few months back. The best anyone found was some whitewater stuff.

Yes he will have all the safety stuff as he has to be inspected before they will let him race.
Old 03-20-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi David,

I add some antibiotics, and good pain meds. ( not tylenol), in case of injury to my 1st aid kit.

Personal safety gear, PFD, whistle, strobe light, harness, tether etc.

The route is straighforward as you say, unless there's a weather system worth avoiding. For that information check in with Herb H. and listen to his routing tips. Jennifer Clarke does Gulf stream routing, optional.

I'm assuming they have an SSB onboard for weatherfaxes and listening to herb.

Don't forget to take a swim when you get hot....and catch some fish..

Safe journey!

Last edited by Tempest; 03-21-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2010

TheBishop is on a distinguished road
Inflatable PFD w/ Harness

I've done that route; figure that there are three pieces: south of the Gulf Stream, in the Stream, and north of the Stream. The first is the easiest; the second can be the roughest, and the third is the coldest. Shouldn't be cold at the end of June, but in April, even May, it's been hat and gloves weather for the last 36-48 hrs.

I've always worn an inflatable PFD w/ integrated harness (& strobe) and been comfortable. Like the second one down on this page:
Mustang Life Jacket
Check it as luggage, or the TSA will make you take out the CO2 canister. (Even though there's one under every seat on the plane.)
Old 03-21-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
I'm sure the boat is loaded with safety gear, as you point out, because the Bermuda race rules are quite stringent on that stuff. Plus, you seem to have a sense already as to the personal gear you ought to bring for yourself (foulies, seasickness meds, books, iPod, etc.). Here are a few questions to ask that may be a touch less obvious. And it's not that you should go or not go depending on the answers, but knowing the answers may help you know what to expect.

Fuel. The Farr 40 has something like 18 or 20 gallons of fuel. Ask if they're planning to load the decks with jerry jugs. On a return delivery like that many boats do so. It's not a huge deal one way or the other, but knowing the answer will make it a little easier to predict your arrival home. That may or may not be important to you.

Roller furling jib. Most of these boats have roller furling, but sometimes the owners remove the furlers for the race down. You may want to ask whether they've done that, and if so, are they planning to reinstall the furler in Bermuda for the delivery home.

CPB sticker. This allows the boat and crew to check in with customs upon re-entry into the US in an expedited manner (i.e., by phone). Without this, you all will need to go to a customs office physically at a port of entry. It's a simple matter to get the sticker, and if the owner hasn't done so yet, (s)he probably should.

I assume the owner/return skipper already has his/her plan for weather and Gulf Stream routing in place, but just in case, we use Dane and Jenifer Clark for weather (Dane) and Gulf Stream (Jenifer). I do recommend them. Another alternative is Commander's Weather. Again, this is probably beyond your responsibility and I assume it already will be taken care of, but it can't hurt to ask. Weather info is readily available these days frankly, but getting a good picture of the Gulf Stream and eddies right when you are ready to leave could be the difference between sailing in fair or foul current (which could cut or add as much as a day from the passage). Also, knowing where the stream and eddies are located is significant for weather too, as it will allow you to route yourself in a manner so as to avoid wind against these currents (I probably don't need to explain here the significance of sailing in winds opposing the Gulf Stream or its eddies). Whereas weather information is readily available on the Internet, Gulf Stream info is more difficult to extract. It's there, but it's just not as user friendly quite yet (which is good for Jenifer!).

And finally, if you've never been to Bermuda, show up a few days early to explore it a little. It's a fabulous place. Be sure to grab a beer and burger at the White Horse in St. George's. Likewise, if you get there at or shortly after the race boats arrive, you'll have a lot of fun just walking the docks at the RBYC checking out the maxis and the other competitors. Plus, it's a party atmosphere in Hamilton at that time, which always is fun just for the ambiance.

Maybe we'll see you there. Our fleet is going to start to arrive in St. George's on Wednesday/Thursday June 23/24. Good luck and have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
From another post I wrote:

Quote:
I would highly recommend buying a good vacuum insulated flask or thermos. Nissan stainless makes some good ones. Having hot coffee, tea or soup is a real godsend on a cold night watch.

Other gear you'll probably want for your racing kit:

A large mesh bag to store your stuff. [i]Lets the stuff dry and lets you see your gear, but keeps it organized and neat.

A good flashlight. I prefer the Gerber Firecracker, which uses a single AA and is nice and small, but doesn't have a red lens. Making one of red acetate is simple enough though. An LED headlamp is a good addition too, preferably with red LEDs.

A good rigging knife. I prefer the Boyes Cobalt Carbide ones, but they're a bit pricey if you're not able to hold on to them.

Your own harness and tether, preferably a harness integrated with a PFD. I prefer the Spinlock Deckware pro or Deckvest. While it isn't USCG approved, it is SOLAS approved, and has some features the other PFDs won't. It comes with an integrated harness that is easily adjustable. It comes with thigh-straps, which are more comfortable than crotch straps. It has a strobe, whistle, and spray hood built in. For tethers, I like the two-leg tethers, with a 3' and a 6' leg, preferably with shock corded legs.

A good hat. I prefer fleece, but old-fashioned wool watch caps work quite well too.

Good gloves. Cold fingers and hands suck. Thin neoprene gloves are about the best choice. Fairly warm, yet leave you enough dexterity for most tasks.

Good boots. Wet cold feet pretty much suck too. What boots you get depend on your budget and foot size. I prefer boots that fit tighter and give your feet more support. In really cold weather, I wear my technical ice climbing boots... feet are nice and warm and dry in them.

Fleece makes for good layers. They provide a lot of insulation, shed water well, dry quickly, and pack fairly small.

Good foul weather gear. Needs to have the high collar, a good hood, good double cuffs, big pockets and lots of retroreflective patches. Adding retroreflective tape to the wrists and to the toes of your shoes is a good idea. The wrists make your arms much more visible, especially if you fall overboard. The toes make it easier for you to see where you're placing your feet at night.

A microfiber towel. These are available at most camping gear stores, like REI/MEC. They absorb a lot of water and dry fairly fast and take up a lot less space than a traditional towel.

Anti-nausea meds. Bring whatever works for you. Different people need different meds...

An extra pair of glasses if you wear them or contacts Things get lost, broken or fall overboard.

Extra prescription meds if you taken any. Keep the two supplies separate.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-26-2010

Great lists guys, thanks
Old 03-27-2010

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
hey David

stop at the dinghy club for a darknstormy. all locals all the time. its the pink bldg, center.
cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Boat move from Bermuda to Branford, CT-pb142302.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermudahigh View Post
stop at the dinghy club for a darknstormy. all locals all the time. its the pink bldg, center.
cheers!
Errm, what club is that?

David, let me know if you have any Bermuda questions

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.