Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
PortaBotes as Tenders w/Torqeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I personally like the PortaBote that my wife bought me for use as a fishing boat... it works quite well as a dinghy as well. One bonus is that it is relatively compact when folded up.
I'm glad to hear SD say that. I bought the 8' PortaBote at a Boat Show two weeks ago, although the factory is a bit behind and I'm still awaiting delivery. It looks like it should fit nicely tied to the lifelines forward.

I have two questions for those who have used a PortaBote:

1) What do you think of PortaBote stability? My wife is scared to death of small boats, being a non-swimmer (I keep her in a PDF at all times) and I'm hoping to reassure her with others' experience.

2) What do you use to power your Portabote and what sort of speed do you get? I'm considering the Torqeedo Travel 801 S. I'm sure it will be fine for tender duty here in the Chesapeake but maybe not for repeated long runs in the Caribbean after I retire again in 8 years or so. For that perhaps I would need to add an external battery.
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't know how the Torqueedo will do, but my 3.5 HP tohatsu was great. As for stability... the flexibility of the hull bottom makes it pretty tough to upset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2010

mberoz is on a distinguished road
My wife & I also have an 8 footer and find it very stable. We've used it for 3 seasons now & never have had a close call. We power with a 3.5hp Nissan 2 stoke. Can't tell you our speed, but fast enough. When alone I can plane easily.
Marc
Old 03-23-2010

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Thanks for your thoughts! I feel better now about my plans.
Pasadena, MD
Old 03-23-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
10 footer with 3 h.p. 2 cycle Johnson will get me and the dog on a plane, but not me and the wife. We do not regret puchasing the portabote although I'm working on modifying the oar locks to facilitate regular oars instead of those cheesy aluminum ones.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-23-2010

Rodney Sheaffer is on a distinguished road
Portabote

I have one for about 7 years. Like it very much, it is 8' use 3 HP on it and I am 250 lbs. It will plain. The only two thinks that are draw backs. (1) is the black seats get very HOT! (2) iI you tow it keep a very short painter on it. Or it will be under water.
Old 03-23-2010

You're right about the hot seats. I painted the tops white.
La Conner, WA

Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You do know that you can just use regular oarlocks in the oarlock mounts...that what I do... Haven't used the cheesy aluminum oars in years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
10 footer with 3 h.p. 2 cycle Johnson will get me and the dog on a plane, but not me and the wife. We do not regret puchasing the portabote although I'm working on modifying the oar locks to facilitate regular oars instead of those cheesy aluminum ones.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-23-2010

Did you drill out the plastic bushings to accomodate regular oar locks? I've been hesitant to do that but considered machining down a pair of oar locks instead so as to be able to still use the cheesy aluminum oars if I needed to.
La Conner, WA

Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

No, the regular oarlocks I bought at WM fit without any modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Did you drill out the plastic bushings to accomodate regular oar locks? I've been hesitant to do that but considered machining down a pair of oar locks instead so as to be able to still use the cheesy aluminum oars if I needed to.

Telstar 28
New England