Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010

weephee is on a distinguished road
Gel Coat

Last fall I ground down my hull from just above the water line to the keel due to blisters etc. and applied 6 coats of Interlux 2000E. I have not applied the anti fouling paint yet. There is a wide black stripe about 3 inches above the water line and originally there was a 2 inch stripe of gel coat just below the black stripe and then the anti fouling paint. I now want to reapply that 2 inch wide gel coat strip that was ground off . Everything I read talks about gel coat repair but I can't find anything on how to apply it as a paint. Do I simply tape off the area and apply like a paint once the hardener is added and then sand and appy again or is there more to it.
Thanks Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I'd say you are pretty much out of luck, it isn't easy to applay a large coat of gelcoat, and it wouldn't be likely to match the hull very well if you could.

You should not have taken down the gelcoat below the boot-top. You should raise the waterline to the bottom of the Bottom by fairing what's below the bottom, apply some coats of Interprotect for good measure, and then bottom paint.
Old 03-21-2010

Just to be sure that we are talking about the same thing, the area to be gelcoated is 2 inches wide and runs the length of the boat on both sides. The hull will be painted black below the waterline so I need to create a band of white between the bottom paint and this black strip just above the water line. If we are talking the same thing, then you are saying I can't gelcoat that 2 inch strip. If not, can you tell me why not. Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to understand.
Thanks
Old 03-21-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
can u post a picture? that would be helpful.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2010

Gel Coat

The first picture is showing the blue anti fouling paint being soda blasted off
The 2nd picture is showing the bottom gel coat removed
The 3rd picture is showing the 1st coat of interlux 2000E being applied before fairing is done. The last couple of coats of 2000E go up to the bottom of the black band or strip.
I now want to paint or gel coat a 2 inch white strip below the black strip and then paint a black anti fouling paint below the white strip if that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Gel Coat-bottom-paint-removal-013.jpg   Gel Coat-hull-repair-018.jpg   Gel Coat-hull-paint-008.jpg  
Old 03-21-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Most boats are laid up with polyester resin an cloth. Gel coat is essentially a polyester resin with pigments added.
Most cans of gel coat have labels that read something to the effect that "this product should only be applied on top of another polyester resin".
Interprotect 2000 is an epoxy based barrier coating system. There are some chemical adhesion issues between dissimilar resin based materials.
Personally I would rather use gel coat then painting this small area as it would last much longer then most paints but I am sure it would be much easier just to paint this area with a nice expensive marine paint. The problem with gel coat is that it is not a simple process like painting.
To properly gel coat even this seemingly benign 2" stripe around your hull/freeboard area would entail:
- sanding/fairing the area to be coated, removing most, if not all of the Interprotect 2000 that you just put down there
- wipe area with Acetone and apply gel coat, thinned or straight. Let cure.
- sand the area fair up to 600 or 1000 grit sandpaper
- polish, wax etc
As already pointed out the color will not likely match the rest at first but on your boat that may matter less because of your boot stripe configuration.
There are different types of gel coat products available. Some are pastes and some are more liquid as gel coat is usually sprayed into a mold when a hull is made.
Your boat, your choices, your time and money.
Have fun whatever you choose and be sure to post an 'after' photo of your work.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious... why did you have them remove the gelcoat before applying the barrier coating. Unless the hull was very wet and had blister problems, which didn't appear to be the case, there was no need to remove the gelcoat. I'd point out that if they had taped off the waterline properly, you wouldn't have this problem.

To gelcoat, you'd probably have to remove the IP2KE, as I don't think gelcoat will stick to it... If you really want a white line between the bootstripe and the bottom paint, you're going to have to paint it IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-21-2010

First off, I have no one to blame but me as I did it myself. There were blisters below the black stripe so I ground down anything that was suspect because I didn't want anymore blistering issues. I think I did a good job on that part, maybe too good a job. I didn't know very much about gel coat and assumed I would just reapply it so i guess I screwed up. Sounds like I should just spray in a strip with marine paint and touch it up as necessary each year. I live in Canada so the boat is high and dry each winter and easy to work on Thanks for all your comments and advice.
Old 03-21-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
From my point of view, one the the reasons we use a boot top stripe is to hide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weephee View Post
First off, I have no one to blame but me as I did it myself. There were blisters below the black stripe so I ground down anything that was suspect because I didn't want anymore blistering issues. I think I did a good job on that part, maybe too good a job. I didn't know very much about gel coat and assumed I would just reapply it so i guess I screwed up. Sounds like I should just spray in a strip with marine paint and touch it up as necessary each year. I live in Canada so the boat is high and dry each winter and easy to work on Thanks for all your comments and advice.
...waterline scum. So, why would I want a white stripe there? I would have moved the stripe down to the water, I think. However, what you have is common and no doubt looks good.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-21-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Don't blame yourself. It's fobodies nault and stuff happens.

I applied a gel coat coating to a fairly small epoxy repair (3" x 12") and it is still holding after 5 years. I did this before I read all the fine print on the labels however.
The original gel coat on my boat is 43 years old and from 50' looks fine but it is crazed with spider web cracks when viewed up close.
We all have our problems.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.