SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing to West Africa??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/6316-sailing-west-africa.html)

namaste04 02-20-2003 10:34 AM

Sailing to West Africa???

Toying with this idea... hoping someone has some experience they can share.

Thinking of sailing from USA/Caribbean (say, early May) to Azores> Portugal>
southern Spain> Morocco (summer), then down to Western Africa before
returning to the Caribbean (maybe December...or later?). Looks like
Guinea-Bissau, with it''s remote (non-tourity) out-lying islands, would be a
great destination (this from "Lonely Planet" travel website.) Also Senegal
and The Gambia.

Wondering if anyone has cruised in these places: are there good anchrages,
etc.? Also, if we were all the way to Africa I think we''d want to go inland
to a wildlife park (either locally in these countries or all the way over in
Uganda, etc. for the giraffes, lions, zebras, etc.).... any thoughts on a
safe place to leave the boat for a week or so?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, or knows someone who''s sailed here who
might be willing to talk to us, we''d very much appreciate it!

PS It would be great if you could email us directly, since the "notify me" thing does not seem to work!

Thanks!

Stacey, Neil, and Olivia
--
Stacey & Neil Collins
Namaste
.....................................__/)..............
http://www.sailnamaste.com

OlNate72 10-20-2016 03:43 PM

Re: Sailing to West Africa???

Did you ever get any reply? I am thinking of making the same journey in 2018. Currently in the Dominican Republic.

chuck53 10-21-2016 08:53 AM

Since namaste04 hasn't posted here in 13 years, I don't think you will be hearing from him.

OlNate72 10-21-2016 08:54 AM

Thanks Chuck. Do you have any recommendations for that topic?

chuck53 10-21-2016 09:10 AM

Not really

capta 10-21-2016 01:16 PM

To the best of my knowledge nobody has left the West Indies and sailed directly to western Africa. Wind and currents are pretty much against you all the way.
The normal route would be via Bermuda, Azores and then to the Canaries/Cap Verdes missing a lot of really fun and interesting places just east of that route.
I'm sure if you got to Europe or South Africa you might find more folks who had done west Africa. Perhaps there is a South African cruiser's forum?

willyd 10-21-2016 01:18 PM

One suggestion might be to post inquiries at least 12-13 years in advance...

Here's one source I've run across before but not read: girl in a gale: A decade with Storm Petrel (there's a book, too)
Also, Matt Rutherford made it to Gambia in a Pearson, but I'm not sure where or if that's documented.

Minnewaska 10-22-2016 10:26 AM

I have a buddy, whose son is a First Mate, aboard a drilling ship off the West African coast. Piracy is a big concern. Mostly in the area of the Gulf of Guinea, but it extends a bit north and south of it, as well.

capta 10-22-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3706713)
I have a buddy, whose son is a First Mate, aboard a drilling ship off the West African coast. Piracy is a big concern. Mostly in the area of the Gulf of Guinea, but it extends a bit north and south of it, as well.

Actually, since the OP hasn't posted in 13 years, perhaps that in itself could be the answer to this guy's question?

killarney_sailor 10-22-2016 11:01 AM

There is West Africa and there is West Africa. Certainly the Gulf of Guinea area is not safe at all, but it is not an area that would be attractive to cruisers. When we were in South Africa and then Namibia we thought about going to the countries mentioned here before crossing the Atlantic instead of via St Helena and Ascension. Timing did not work out but we found some accounts from European cruisers (a few!) who went here before heading west. I agree with Capta that going from the Caribbean would be very, difficult and unpleasant. Some people tend to look at a world map or globe and figure that it is not that from X to Y looks like a good trip to take. Pilot charts and Cornell, who has done much of the analysis of pilot charts, are your friend.