SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sell Boat Myself or Use Broker? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/63172-sell-boat-myself-use-broker.html)

NCC320 03-23-2010 01:35 PM

Sell Boat Myself or Use Broker?

I have a 2001 Catalina 22 that I want to sell. I had it in another location but now have two sailboats at the same location. It's a nice boat, and I am under no particular stress to dump it, so I want a fair price and will hold for that. The question is, is it better to sell it myself or to use a broker? Brokers typically get 10% selling fee, and if I sell it myself, there's either, more for me, or a better deal for the buyer. As far as I can tell, most brokers put a sign on the boat, advertise it on one or two websites, and then wait until a buyer comes along. Why couldn't I do the same? For those of you who have done it either way, what is your opinion and recommendation?

tommays 03-23-2010 01:56 PM

I sold my J24 for free pretty easy through the class web sight and i think the C22 has one also

The big issue is the location of the boat as i store my boats at home , That would not be allowed at any marina in this area

I got what i wanted but had to put up with endless lowball offers :)

kwaltersmi 03-23-2010 02:11 PM

If you're got the time, you might try for yourself for a while using Craigslist, C22 association, etc.

The benefits of using a listing broker include no showing/scheduling hassles, legal paperwork is on the broker, negotiations is on the broker, some liability is on the broker, better advertising with a good broker, etc. It may also be true that boats listed with brokers fetch a higher sales price (making up for the commission) and sell in a shorter amount of time on average. Or at least the last sentence is true for real estate, so it may also apply to boats.

NCC320 03-23-2010 02:14 PM

The boat is on a trailer in a private storage lot. I can put a sign on it and show it myself. However, not may "drive-by" potential buyers would see it, so if I do it myself, I would be relying on the advertisements to draw potential buyers. I've also considered potentially moving it to a storage lot alongside a road where traffic to/from the marinas passes by (where I would have to pay a storage fee). However, the brokers not only want 10% selling commission, but they also want $40-75/mo. to keep the boat on their yards (where it might or might not be visable amoung the many boats in the yard) while they are "selling" it.

tommays 03-23-2010 02:21 PM

IMHP you get killed selling a small boat through a broker

I put the 4 photo limit on Craigs list and had a BIG package of photos i emailed to people who responded

IF they seemed OK in the emails i then talked to them by CELL phone

I would do it with a NEW gmail or something you can dump when you finish :)

JimMcGee 03-23-2010 02:36 PM

When I sold my Catalina 22 I made sure the boat was bright and shiny.

Then I put together a web page with lots of photos and details, hung a sign on the boat, put it on several C22 lists/sites and put it on Craig's list. Everything online linked back to the web page I put together.

The boat sold in three days and I had several offers. The most responses came from Craig's list followed by the C22 lists/sites.

The biggest thing was the boat was VERY clean. Buyers looking at this size boat see a lot of junk so a really clean boat really stands out.

If you have high speed Internet at home, chances are a free web page is included along with a simple web site that will help you create it. Have lots of pictures sized to about 400 pixels wide ready to upload.

Best of luck,
Jim

JL 03-24-2010 02:02 PM

Try "www sailingtexas com" as well (had to omit the dots because I don't have enough posts on here). C22s move pretty well to Texas.

BONESDILLIGAF 03-24-2010 03:15 PM

I bought mine from a private seller, and I would encourage you to try and sell it yourself first since you are in no rush.

since the boat is on a trailer, is it possible to put the boat in a high traffic area with the sign on it?

For example, there is a autorepair shop by my home that has a great location. He will allow people to sell cars / trucks / boats by parking them on his lawn by the road. All he asks is for $100.00 when you sell. Works out for both parties, draws possible customers to his shop, and gives folks a place to sell their stuff.

good luck

oh yeah, you can also add one of those real estate tube things to the trailer. The ones that say more info, you can put pictures, links to the pictures on the web, and list all the amenities for the people who just drive by.

sailjunkie 03-24-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwaltersmi (Post 584297)
The benefits of using a listing broker include no showing/scheduling hassles, legal paperwork is on the broker, negotiations is on the broker, some liability is on the broker, better advertising with a good broker, etc. It may also be true that boats listed with brokers fetch a higher sales price (making up for the commission) and sell in a shorter amount of time on average. Or at least the last sentence is true for real estate, so it may also apply to boats.

One additional advantage is that you don't have to take time to show the boat to tire-kickers who may not be very serious. :mad:

That said, your boat is small and popular enough to justify trying to sell it yourself as a first step.

SPC 03-25-2010 09:40 AM

As a shopper, sell it yourself and follow the advice listed. Do have a plan to manage the legal aspects of the transaction. A serious buyer will want to know.

I think that many sellers would be amazed by how frequently the broker gets in the way of making a deal, but then they don't know because the buyer doesn't speak with the seller directly after maybe a first trip to the boat.