Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010

hardalee22 is on a distinguished road
Nova Scotia Charts

Hoping to make it up to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia this summer and am looking into buying charts. I have the chart books to the Canadian border, but after that it looks like I need to buy individual charts, which gets pricey fast. Does anyone sell chart books for Nova Scotia? I understand that I can get electronic charts, but need the paper ones too.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The CHS (Canadian Hydrographic Service) publishes chart books as well as individual charts.

Canadian Hydrographic Service

http://tinyurl.com/chart-directory

The links above seem to be for individual paper charts, but I know in BC there are a series of chart booklets available for particular regions that are popular with cruisers. It's possible that these are also available back east.. though it's not indicated on the directory (and it is for the West coast)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-24-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardalee22 View Post
Hoping to make it up to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia this summer and am looking into buying charts. I have the chart books to the Canadian border, but after that it looks like I need to buy individual charts, which gets pricey fast. Does anyone sell chart books for Nova Scotia? I understand that I can get electronic charts, but need the paper ones too.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I'd love to hear about your planning and your trip.

Cape Breton (and most everywhere else in NS) is among the most beautiful places I have ever visited and I dream of cruising up there someday.
Old 03-25-2010

Shortman is on a distinguished road
We got only as far as Lunenburg last August because of TS Bill then TS Danny, but that's another story. I looked a fair amount and saw no evidence of books. I ended up being given a set of 15+/- year old charts which, in combination with a new Garmin chip/card, worked out fine. Some markings have changed as I understand the Canadians like to move things around but the land & rocks haven't moved too far.
I hope to get back for an extend cruise to the Bras D'or Lakes in a few years. Nova Scotians are wonderful.
We met a friend of Peter Loveridge's who said Peter would be self-publishing & offering online an update of his cruising guide, but does not appear to have happened yet. Amazon is offering 3 used from $94 - $999. It's worth $94, not $999. Actually it may be worth $999 but that depends on your income level. It is, hands down, the best book on cruising Nova Scotia.
Here's our trip Nova Scotia Trip Complete - Sailing - Spot
Old 03-25-2010

hardalee22 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the feedback. I too have heard that some of the markers have been moved around. In a perfect world, I won't need that many charts as I hope run straight to Halifax and then straight on to St. Peters and the Lakes. However, I really don't want to be in a situation where I need to get into a harbor and don't have the chart.

Guess we're lucky to have those nice chartbooks that cover so much, and don't cost 1000 bucks.

As my plans firm up I'll try to post some more info. Our basic plan is pretty simple though. Long Island Sound to Provincetown Harbor on the tip of Cape Cod. From there we're going to make a run for Halifax. Don't have the time to see Maine (love to some day) and if the weather is right it could be a great sail if it's out of the SW.

Getting back could be another matter.
Old 03-27-2010

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
when are you making the voyage ?
how much time are you figuring to take , long island sound -? provincetown -? halifax ?
what sort of boat are you sailing ?

the noaa charts will cover USA to Yarmouth NS

then you need two garmin coverages to get you to cape breton
they are around $150 each ?

I bought a boat last fall in Annapolis md and live in Lunenburg so will be sailing her home this summer, maybe we will cross paths