Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Just when I was about to...

purchase a chartplotter from Defender during their sale this week...I learn that the cutlass bearing has failed. I wasn't able to take a picture, but the rubber tube has come completely out

I have no idea how this could have happened, especially since the cutlass was one of the first things I replaced when we hauled the boat the first time (5 years ago as new owners). The only thing I recall hitting recently was something on the Honga River last July. I had the boat pulled when we returned and all that appeared to be damaged was a bit of the rudder flange, there was a small piece of rope wrapped around the shaft? We've done a lot of sailing since then

The worst part is there is enough damage to the shaft that a new one will be needed. Then theres the coupler, drive saver, and I might as well install a drip-less shaft seal, new motor mounts, and possibly a line cutter...arg. Add the marina charges to pull, block and tarp the boat and store it for a week. Oh yea, add the fact that there is no way I can do this until there is some room for my boat in the yard, at least two to three weeks!

I plan to do it all myself and I'm kinda looking forward to it, but I just don't know when? April is a crazy month for me, so I'm guessing we won't be sailing until May...bummer

So anyway, there just went the chart plotter purchase LOL

Lessons Learned:
  • I should have replaced the engine mounts a long time ago
  • I should have checked the shaft alignment more often
  • I should have pulled and had the shaft checked when we bought the boat
  • I should have been patient and waited to pull the boat until they had room to store me, $222 down the drain A big duh there, I guess I just wanted to know WTH was going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 03-26-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Don't beat yerself up, man. Hard to know you're misaligned until it becomes symptomatic. Lots of what's kerblooey is only obvious in hindsight. Pulling the boat was a good idea regardless: something fails catastrophically in the stern tube, your boat may end up on the bottom. Can you beg/plead to keep the boat on shore -- or ask the marina to waive the second haulout fee? It's not your fault they are short on space. That would soften the ding & put a down payment on a chartplotter....

The dripless seal is a good idea. Stuffing boxes seem like they would get annoying fast. And definitely a line cutter.
Old 03-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ouch... sorry to hear this... At least you know about Maine Sail's instructions on replacing the cutlass bearing and re-doing the stuffing box. This is also a good chance for you to put a PSS on if you wanted to or go to the GFO packing material.

Asking the yard to haul you for free the second time isn't a bad idea, especially if you're their long term customer... it would be a reasonable accommodation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-29-2010
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
Feel for you, hope you can get her fixed and be back on the water soon

Old 03-29-2010

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
Back in 2000 I was living in Nassau. Out of economic necessity (divorce) I was forced to sell my 35 ft. powerboat and switch to sail.

The first time I took my Hunter 30 out for a sail, I ran over a piece of thick polypropylene line. It wrapped itself around my prop shaft, tightened up, and broke my prop strut.

Five days later, I was finally able to get out of Brown's Boatyard with a brazed strut, a new cutlass bearing, and an empty wallet. Crawling down inside the stern to get at the bolts which secured the prop strut was a miserable experience from start to finish!

The only good thing about the whole experience was that I got to stay at the British Colonial Hilton for $50/night, courtesy of the front desk manager who I had certified as a scuba diver.

I'm sorry. You mentioned "cutlass bearing" and I just had to share.
Old 03-29-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Damn Shaun...sorry to hear your predicament. Ken should cut you a break on the haul seeing as you are a long timer there. If he doesnt, well its time to move then. He should also be able to pull and block you immediately as he is putting lots of people in the water now. I know Hal went in today (T34) and he was in a spot not blocking anyone. If he wont well its time to move then.

Dont beat yourself up on not forseeing this. We all sign on for living with "Murphy" when we buy sailboats. You take care of your baot so it wasnt a case of neglect or mismanagement. Anything I can do to help...just ask. Even if its just to get a sailing "fix" in with us.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner