Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
The "contemplation boat" thread

Look it's Friday afternoon, so cut me a little slack here, and play along, willya?

Every marina, boatyard and harbour has at least one. That vision of faded glory, that boat that is on the brink, a good old boat that is starting to tilt from the former (good) waaay over to the latter (old), and pretty soon will not even qualify as the qualified noun (boat). Most aren't worth a second glance, but there is always that one, unique, sad specimen that you just know has a story behind her. The one that calls to you from across the yard, or the fairway. The one you notice while you are varnishing, scrubbing , sanding, cleaning, sunbathing or drinking.
Okay, mostly drinking. Because that is when you start to think, "y'know, i don't NEED another boat, i don't WANT another boat, but THAT one.... hmmm..."
The one that makes you pause when you walk past, and think about what she COULD be.

Yeah, THAT boat. The one that doesn't necessarily make you open your wallet YET, but the one that starts the refit budget running through your head as you walk around her, calculating what she needs. sure, it's just blueskying, or navel-gazing, but, if, and maybe, and possibly, and...

Here's mine. Yeah, I know; I need to drink more.

let's see yours.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
let's see yours.
Excuse me? I don't think so pal. We hardly know each other. You Canadians!
Old 03-26-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I dont recognize that boat. Do you what kind it is? I would say buy it regardless, it is Friday and all.
Old 03-26-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
It is a lifeboat conversion. I don't need another boat, or necessarily want another boat, but I hate to see a viable boat die.

xort, I never get to see yours until you are halfway into the project and can't find the setscrews.
Old 03-26-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Funky, chunky boat. It's curvy yet blocky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2010

daydreamer92 is on a distinguished road
Am I allowed to want to "save" more boats already?

Oo, oo, I can play this game.

Ok, so neither of these are "classics" really, but...

Not in my yard, but in another, there's a Pearson 26 languishing. Yard owned, yadda yadda. I saw it on eBay last week. Guess it's still there.

(no photo credit for me, this was taken from the ad. Despite the date on the photo, it pretty much looks like that.)

When I am at the Tartan, I keep glancing over at this Tanzer 22 a few boats away. Also yard owned.

It's so cute. Well, potentially cute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It may be a hole in the water, but it's mine.
Old 03-26-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
I'll be happy just to finish the refit on the one I already own!

Old 03-26-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Don't have a pic but there was a cute little (30' or so) ketch that caught my eye. So sad, sitting on the cradle, cruddy blue tarp half off, brightwork peeling etc. I'll have to ask what happened- it's not in the same spot in the yard. Lost dreams?

Would have been a good "project" for the kids if they were older.
Old 03-26-2010

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Been There, Done That, Never Again!

I'd gladly post pictures (before and after) but for some reason I cannot make it work. Anyway...

I gave up sailing almost completely for 12 years. Yes, time does fly by. At some point I had a chance to step back; it was then that I realized I was missing something that had become important to me long ago. Sailing was not simply a sport to me. It had been a total experience. And so, I decided to get a boat of my own. But I had been away from it for so long, I foolishly got involved in an unfinished boat that was located hundreds of miles away. Even after bringing it to the Annapolis area this project turned into a rather lengthy ordeal, taking all my time. Friends said to me, just think of all that you learned. My reply was, invariably, who says I wanted to know?(!) Boat building and sailing, I learned the hard way, are two totally different things. But I kept at it.

I finally launched it in September 2007 -- more than three years later. It's interesting how all those hours working on the boat gently fade from memory. Now, I just feel a certain sense of satisfaction. And tending to the boat, as it swings on its mooring, is quite pleasurable. With the newly found free time, once in a while I attended a sailor's event/gathering. When asked if I have a boat I simply answer in a near whisper, "Yes, a project catamaran." Oftentimes the response is immediate: "Not Hot Mustard?" After a little sigh I nodd yes.

I've met some great folks that way, all because of the perpetual project. Still, speaking from experience, I suggest you ogle that lovely derelict to your heart's content. Next, smack your face hard enough to come back to reality. Then walk, uh no, RUN away -- as fast as you can! Finally, find yourself a quiet place and repeat 100 times "Only turn key for me, Only turn key for me, Only...."
Old 03-27-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
There is a wooden International Dragon in a yard on the French side of St Maarten and it is just starting to look a little lumpy.