SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Your thoughts on a potential challenge......

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  blackjenner 
#1 ·
just for conversation purposes, if I were to buy a used 'micro cruiser' about 14 or 15 feet and sail from turks and caicos to miami, which 'micro cruiser' would you choose that would be most seaworthy. west wight potter?

#2 ·
I would recommend a Peep Hen 14, Compac 16 or a Montgomery 17 over the WWP 15.

#4 ·

Windsurfer is the bomb for offshore transportation, at least for those wanting to avoid detection and get to shore quickly.

#5 ·
Yeah, but sleeping on them sucks... :D

#6 ·
Montgomery 17! I had one for a short time and loved it. I am still lusting after another. Very stout little boat.

#8 ·
I'd point out that there is at least one Montgomery 17 circumnavigating... crazy but true. It was heavily customized by the factory for the voyage.

#12 ·
I have always been intrigued by the idea of microcruising. While there are several production boats (Potter and Montgomery) that make boats suited for the purpose, there are not many production companies catering to the needs of the microcruiser... probably not that big of a market. That being said there are some really great plywood boat plans and kit boats out there.

Great Pelican (16') by Platypus boats
Great Pelican deck kit

Happy (14') by Jay Benford
14' Long Distance Cruiser Happy - Benford Design Group

Favnir (13') by John Welsford
Duckworks Boatbuilders Supply
John Welsford has also drawn plans for a number of open boats from 14-17 that have made considerable open water crossings.

Tideway (14') by Paul Fisher
Duckworks Boatbuilders Supply

The Tideway is my personal favorite. Paul fisher has designed a number of boats that would make great microcruisers. You can find plans to a number of other great microcruisers here:
Duckworks Indexes - Trailer Sailer Cruisers

#13 ·
It doesn't sound like the OP wants to build a boat...and finding one of the homebuilts that is used and in decent shape may be difficult. The build quality will certainly be more variable than a production boat.

#14 ·
It was just to add a few interesting designs to the conversation. I agree that the OP is probably not interested in building a boat. That being said, you would probably have significant difficulty obtaining a production microcruiser in the Turks and Cacios, and shipping one from the mainland would not be worth the cost.

#15 ·
yes my hope would be to buy in the Turks. Having only visited there and not lived I will take your comments as a caution. If I have to do the trip going from Miami to Turks and leave the boat there then that is fine too. Hey, then the next guy will find one there! Maybe I could find someone that wants to do it to Turks and I buy it and come back. I am leaning to the Com-pac 16 but all suggestions are definately good. Com-pac is in Fl so parts would not be far away. What about crossing the Gulf Stream, obviously a weather window is key but I assume it is possible in a 16'. The biggest crossings I see are Provo to Horse Pond Bay and then Bimini to Miami (maybe a few others).

Any area experience comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.