Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010

DSK6789 is on a distinguished road
Financing A Catamaran

Hello, I am looking to buy a houseboat(used/100k). Banks
want 20% down,which is ok, but also want the rest for you to
either have in your bank account or in things that you own.
Who has that much money/ items worth that much money? Is
there another option? I have 2 cars in my name, one is payed
off the other is not. Other than that I have nothing worth
anything. Help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
do you own a house, just so you know a boat with a fixed head and kitchen can qualify as a first or second home.

you might be better looking at new boats for the financing end, although the prices go up when new as you know. a gemini 105mc will run around 160 new, and they could easily be a live aboard.
Old 03-30-2010

I do not own a home, as this will be my first. How does this help me?
Old 03-30-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
a boat loan without using the boat as collateral is a personal loan with higher interest rates. get the loan as a home loan using the boat as collateral and the home, lower rates and normally easier qualifying
Old 03-30-2010

I see, thank you. Do you know anything about online specific boat loaners. My local banks look down upon the boat even as a house loan.
Old 04-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You would need to go with a marine finance company that is willing to take your loan on with the boat as collateral. This is generally referred to as a marine mortgage, and the interest on the loan is often deductible, provided the boat has the necessary facilities to qualify as a home—fixed galley and head systems—no porta-potties or camping stoves.

However, most companies will only do a marine mortgage on larger purchases, so it depends on what boat you're looking at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-02-2010

Well I am hoping to find a used Gemini Under 100k. So I would think that will qualify. Anything else that can help me? Should it be insurance ready? What will help qualify me besides money down and good credit?
Old 04-02-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Lenders want you to have assets exceeding your debt - that is a common prerequisite as well as a reasonable debt to income ratio and insurance for the full value of the loan. You might be putting the cart before the horse in boat shopping first.
I assume you already know that financing a depreciating asset is the worst financial decision possible.
Old 04-02-2010

Yeah I really am trying to find a good lender. Preferably 10% down, no higher than 7%. This will be my first "home". Planning on taking the loan out for more than the boats value to add solar and wind. I see a loan application on yachtworld, although I am not sure on there specifications on loans from them.
Old 04-02-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
DSK

good luck on finding those terms, and someone willing to lend more than the value for added items.....

IN this market, expect 20% down, good FICO, means to pay back the loan, and some degree of net worth.

It matters not to them that you will live in it, that may actually be a negative to many lenders.

Then there is the insurance issue of live aboard...you may want to get a firm commitment and binder, not a quote...
all the best