In your opinion, how popular will Sailboating be compared to Powerboating? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road
Question In your opinion, how popular will Sailboating be compared to Powerboating?

A few weeks ago, I spoke with a marina / broker located in Maryland. He made the comment that the sailboat market is really beginning to pick up compared to the powerboat market.

Considering his comments and considering that gas will at some point in the near future hit $4.00 a gallon, do you think that interest in sailboating is on the rise?

Do you think that sailboating will ever get back to the level of popularity that it was back in the 70's?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Only speaking for myself, I will tell you that the cost of fuel absolutely was one factor in my decision to make the switch. I'd rather pour money into the pockets of craftsmen who make sails and rigging than the pockets of those who refine petroleum.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-31-2010

sailtimeci is on a distinguished road
Saving Sailing

The future of sailing rests clearly in how we as a community support and promote youth participation primarily and how affordable access to sailboats is offered secondarily. If you all havent read this book I highly recommend it http://www.savingsailing.com/ I have no interest in the marketing of this book or anything like that. But it sure does hit the nail on the head or is that the pintle on the grudgeon?
Old 03-31-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

I guess it depends on wear you live BUT around here there BOTH still packing the marinas and IMHP if you dont like sailing the price of gas is NOT gonna make you like it you will just use the boat less

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2010

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road
I noticed that my local lake Parks and Rec. is now offering sailing lessons and they have a sailing club that you can join. I hope this will encourage more people to consider sailing instead of the the old powerboat....
Old 03-31-2010

ericread is on a distinguished road
I still think that the ease of renting a powerboat will continue to make it the dominant way to enjoy time on the water. Sailing does require a commitment to training and in most cases, you must demonstrate your proficiency in order to rent (charter) a sailboat, if even for an afternoon sail. Although everybody loves to gawk at the sailboats, most of those folks really don’t want to make the commitment necessary to sail.

Just my $.02.

Eric
Old 03-31-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Powerboating will always be far more popular than sailing. Always. Dumb, fat Americans can't resist just jumping in, turning a key and taking off at high speed, whether it be on pavement, dirt or water. Most powerboaters are "boaters" in the loosest sense of the word only. To them, a boat is simply the aquatic version of their car or quad-runner. Don't even get me started on the jetski retards.
Old 03-31-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Long-term, I think sailing will benefit from the "green" movement while powerboats don't.

Geography is important. If there are interesting places to go or things to do which are close for 20 knots but not for 5 knots, then power will predominate, since powerboats are more of a "means to an end" (be it a fishing or diving hole, water skiing, etc) than are sailboats, which are an "end in themselves", fun to just sail, while going nowhere in particular.

More fuel shortage/cost will mean more sail in the boating "pie". Whether that pie itself will shrink or grow in the face of an economy with insufficient affordable fuel is another question, whose answer I don't know.
Old 03-31-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well said... sad, but true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Powerboating will always be far more popular than sailing. Always. Dumb, fat Americans can't resist just jumping in, turning a key and taking off at high speed, whether it be on pavement, dirt or water. Most powerboaters are "boaters" in the loosest sense of the word only. To them, a boat is simply the aquatic version of their car or quad-runner. Don't even get me started on the jetski retards.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-31-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
People tend to put less and less time into these sorts of activities now and I think that sailing will suffer more than powerboating. Sailing requires a certain level of proficiency which takes a lot more time to achieve than driving a powerboat. I agree that people are often lazy and sailing does not appeal to lazy people.

Many of the sailors that I know think that powerboats are boring. I see sailing as something that you can spend a lot of time at whereas powerboating you do a couple of weekends a summer (I am excluding expeditions).