SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Finding a job in route to Brazil (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/63489-finding-job-route-brazil.html)

akin_alan 04-03-2010 06:40 AM

Finding a job in route to Brazil

Anyone know about finding a job outside of the US, in route to Brazil from South Carolina.

If I go it will probably be in September. I am about to take a job as a beach lifeguard in South Carolina for the summer. I have retirement money but don't want to get penalized for using it. Also figure it might be a good idea to take care of the old guy I hope to be one day.

I would like to find a job somewhere in another couthry, yes to make ends meet, but mostly for the experience. I will be 32 years old single handing on a 30' Sailboat. I wonder if anyone of you have done anything like this before.

sailingdog 04-03-2010 08:14 AM

You'll find it difficult, as most countries require foreigners to have a work visa or permit.

Omatako 04-05-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 588698)
You'll find it difficult, as most countries require foreigners to have a work visa or permit.

Yep and in most places if they catch you working without a permit, they don't fine you, the worker - they fine the employer with often very hefty penalties so the employer is not going to have anything to do with you.

And besides, they generally have people who live there who will do what you will do for 10% of the money and they can speak the language.

sailingdog 04-05-2010 10:11 PM

And, in many countries, they will impound/confiscate your boat if they find you working illegally.

madcuddlar 05-19-2010 05:12 PM

So.. its basically IMPOSSIBLE to get on your boat and go to relatively civilised friendly countries and count on fellow human beings goodwill to trade a few weeks labor doing an odd job in return for food and/or provisions...?

CharlieCobra 05-19-2010 05:52 PM

Pretty tough thing to do these days...

JimB517 05-19-2010 06:49 PM

not a problem

Its not a problem at all, however, in the US Virgin Islands, or Puerto Rico.

The best thing to do is keep your income here while you move about. That can be accomplished with a variety of means (web site business).

The second option is to work off the books as a cruiser doing work for cruisers. For example with a good sewing machine on board, diesel engine repairs, boat repairs, etc. However most often this will be a barter system with getting something in trade.

Dolby 05-21-2010 01:51 PM

i have been sailing from DE, now in GA for some $$$ before the bahamas...i picked up under table restaurant work in a fine dining place (chef by trade) and the guy im sailing with picked up a carpentry job for a couple weeks...dont listen to the "Nay" sayers...its totally possible...as long as your boat floats the rest will happen

sailingdog 05-21-2010 05:13 PM

Please note, that we're not saying you can't do this in the UNITED STATES... just that doing so in FOREIGN COUNTRIES would be ill-advised. You might want to actually read the original post, since the OP specifically mentioned WORK OUTSIDE THE USA... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 605842)
i have been sailing from DE, now in GA for some $$$ before the bahamas...i picked up under table restaurant work in a fine dining place (chef by trade) and the guy im sailing with picked up a carpentry job for a couple weeks...dont listen to the "Nay" sayers...its totally possible...as long as your boat floats the rest will happen

SailingWebGuy 05-23-2010 06:45 PM

What about some kind of web based freelance type of work? Get paid via paypal. Make purchases on a paypal debit card or one linked to your paypal account.

I may give that a shot one day...not sure if it will work or not because I'm quite a ways off from having to figure out all the particulars.