Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010

lokiii is on a distinguished road
Port San Luis in a dinghy?

Anybody here familiar with Port San Luis, CA? I have a small 17' (Hunter 170) with a 2hp outboard that I've only sailed on the local lakes. Just looking for advice on the port area, and general advice on wandering onto the "open" ocean in a dinghy. I doubt I will venture very far--probably just down to Pismo pier.

Tim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
The cove at Pt. San Luis would seem to be a nice place to sail a boat such as yours so long as you stay within a line between the breakwater at Whalers Island and Avila Rock, or better, Avila Pier (the further east you go the less shelter you will have from winds bending around the Point). There is a launching ramp at Pt. San Luis and, generally, little enough surf that you can easily run up on the beach for a lunch break just to the east. (Take a long bamboo pole along so you can push yourself out. It works better than a little outboard) Have a look at Google Earth for a better sense of the port.

You might also find the Back Bay at Morro Bay enjoyable for exploration. For more information on that contact the Morro Bay YC.

Good Luck
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-08-2010

lokiii is on a distinguished road
Thanks, but it turns out I can't sail out of Port San Luis. I went their yesterday to sail. There isn't a ramp, just a hoist, and they said they can't hoist a boat with the mast up. I can't rig the boat in the water. Also, they close at 4pm--not great for an afternoon sail, and it was already almost 2pm by then.

From there I went to Morro Bay, where they have a trailer ramp. I had a great time sailing up and down the embarcadero with a bunch of kids in little sailboats (Optimist?). Sunny, light wind, stayed out until about 6pm, while others were still out, and another daysailer was putting in when I left. Quite a few folks at the Morro Bay Yacht club also--might have to look into hanging out with them.

To bad Port San Luis doesn't have a ramp or other support for small trailerables (and better hours if you can rig in the water).
Old 04-08-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks, but it turns out I can't sail out of Port San Luis. I went their yesterday to sail. There isn't a ramp, just a hoist, and they said they can't hoist a boat with the mast up.
Hummm...

It's been a while since we were there. I'm sorry for the bum steer. At one point one could launch off the ramp where the travel lift is situated, about 100 yards east of the pier as I recall. I'm sorry that's not still the case. I am glad you had a chance to visit Morro Bay. We enjoyed exploring the back bay when we were kids.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."